Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Shrink Wrapping for Shipping (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/153658-shrink-wrapping-shipping.html)

Michael1 03-15-2007 01:09 AM

Shrink Wrapping for Shipping
 
I have been told shrink wrapping can protect a boat during shipping. However, if the shrink wrapping is not done correctly, I'm told, it can blow loose, and actually cause wear to the finish. What techniques should be used to do proper shrink wrapping for shipping? How do you find someone who knows how to wrap it for shipping, rather than just winterizing?

Thanks,

Michael

bgchuby01 03-15-2007 01:28 AM

use a qualified installer and you should not have a problem

Chuck 03-15-2007 04:37 AM

You definately should be concerned!!!! I had a new boat shrink wrapped for delivery and where the deck rolls to the sides of the boat it was scratched beyond wetsanding and buffing.

[email protected] 03-15-2007 07:12 AM


Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 2058431)
You definately should be concerned!!!! I had a new boat shrink wrapped for delivery and where the deck rolls to the sides of the boat it was scratched beyond wetsanding and buffing.

Who wrapped it? And how far did it have to travel to and from? I have heard that shrink wrap can scratch boats caused by the wind speeds of highway travel.

Panic Button 03-15-2007 09:08 AM

I had one wrapped by a dealer, when the boat arrived 2000 miles later 3 large scuff marks on the sides where the banding strap rubbed the sides. Since the dealer did it, and knew the boat was being driven on the highway, they finally agreed on a payment to fix the damage.

Wally 03-15-2007 09:16 AM

I watched as these local guys wraped my buddy's 38 PQ for a trip down to FL....before they did anything else they put what he called a transport barrier on the boat.....said it was 3mill thick and it prevents the wrap from chafing the boat during transport....the stuff was tough to say the least. Then they did all their normal shrink wrap work. He made it down to Fl no problem and there was no damage at all anywhere on the boat.....and this guy drives like a nut!! 75mph was probably the slowest he ran down there :)

TSPM 03-15-2007 09:26 AM


Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 2058431)
You definately should be concerned!!!! I had a new boat shrink wrapped for delivery and where the deck rolls to the sides of the boat it was scratched beyond wetsanding and buffing.

If its done correctly that should not happen...you get what you pay for. All NEW boats we get in for stock are done by the MFG and are perfect upon arrival. The use of quality ANTI CHAFFING film under the shrink wrap is the key. Also the boat must be spotless clean before wrap so nothing between the hull and the wrap act as sandpaper to the finish. It is basically the same film new cars come with on the top and side surfaces. Now this film is somewhat costly and is an additional step in the wrap process so its more time and materials.

Jamie B. 03-15-2007 09:35 AM


Originally Posted by TSPM (Post 2058605)
The use of quality ANTI CHAFFING film under the shrink wrap is the key. Also the boat must be spotless clean before wrap so nothing between the hull and the wrap act as sandpaper to the finish. It is basically the same film new cars come with on the top and side surfaces. Now this film is somewhat costly and is an additional step in the wrap process so its more mone in time and materials.

Good to know.

otis311 03-15-2007 11:02 AM


Originally Posted by bgchuby01 (Post 2058405)
use a qualified installer and you should not have a problem

I heard from a guy in California that all you have to do is cover the boat and snap every other snap

OldSchool 03-15-2007 12:17 PM


Originally Posted by otis311 (Post 2058686)
I heard from a guy in California that all you have to do is cover the boat and snap every other snap

LMAO!!! :drink: :evilb:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.