Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Bow rail, pros & cons (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/153777-bow-rail-pros-cons.html)

rangerrick63 03-16-2007 02:29 PM

Bow rail, pros & cons

I'm considering having a custom bow rail made for my ZX. I've never seen one mounted on a ZX before, & I'm not sure if it would even be worth it. This will be my first boating season with it, & I can't help but wonder...first time I go to toss the ole front anchor out, & crawl out on the bow that I've spent so much time waxing, I either bust my *** , & or I go swimming :( ...So, I was looking for a little input on bow rails, & if I decide to go with one, would it really be worth it, or could I just mount an extra long grab handle? As for the custom bow rail, does anyone have a contact for someone who builds them?

glassdave 03-16-2007 03:54 PM

I feel your pain man. i have a customers 38ZX that i do pokerruns an stuff with once in a while (i call it prop testing :D ) and i believe that whole boat was designed to toss you in the water. even the damn sunpad gets treterous if it wet :drink:

thats a tough deck to put a rail on because of how clean the angle is. damn good lookin boat but tough to be out on the deck

rangerrick63 03-16-2007 04:25 PM

I can hardly wait :eek: , LOL...I have considered doing something like my buddies Outlaw, he has a single rail running down the center of the bow, really looks good, & it seems to give ya something to hold on to when the waves are bouncin ya around. My only issue with that is the bow hatch is directly in the middle, I suppose I'll give it some more thought...

Strip Poker 388 03-16-2007 04:31 PM

yawl need some sea legs :D I only use mine for tieing bumpers ,Ive never had to hold on to one before.

con would be looks and I wouldnt want to install one after the head liner is in the boat

rangerrick63 03-16-2007 04:45 PM

I hope to be able to get em pretty quick, without too many unexpected swims :eek: ...
I have to remove the headliner? Wasn't counting on that...LOL...

cuda 03-16-2007 04:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I love the look of no bow rail, neither of my Donzii's have one, but the low rail on my Formula comes in handy when at the dock.

cuda 03-16-2007 04:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I had a Formula F20SC that had the "Captain Queeg" bowrails on it. I guess they would be good for harpooning whales, but I took it off, and I thought it looked much better.

bouyhunter 03-16-2007 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388 (Post 2060328)
yawl need some sea legs :D I only use mine for tieing bumpers ,Ive never had to hold on to one before.

con would be looks and I wouldnt want to install one after the head liner is in the boat

Those would be Fenders deckhand:D

bouyhunter 03-16-2007 05:01 PM

Cuda - I think the big tall Life-Line SS cable would look kinda cool on the Minx.
But, it also looks great as is.

Donzi38ZXXX 03-16-2007 05:10 PM

I know where your coming from my friend - I'm just carefull & I have been trying to get my wife up there. Not!