Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Steel Buildings for Boat Storage... Condensation? >

Steel Buildings for Boat Storage... Condensation?

Notices

Steel Buildings for Boat Storage... Condensation?

Old 03-19-2007, 06:15 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out this site for information.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

1. Do not skimp on ceiling height if you plan on pulling motors.
2. Consider radiant floor heat.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What ever you decide to build it with, make it BIGGER!
Old 03-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Ike,
Depends.

If you are going to put poles in the ground; where I am located, the building is classified as Agriculture, and no permits are needed, nor are your property taxes affected.

If you are pouring, and slab, and footers, and you are bolting the building to the concrete, you are now creating a permanent structure, and permits are needed, as well as property taxes will probably be affected.

Depending on how your construction will take place, and height of your building depends on how you will do your concrete. You don't want to pour a slab that they will have to bust, drill through, or modify to put the poles in the ground, so pouring after is probably easier. AND, you can used the base plates of the building as your forms.

HOWEVER, you need 14 feet of clearance to get a cement truck inside. So, you either have to have a concrete buggy or concrete pump to get the concrete where you need it indoors.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a foil back insulated ceiling in my work shop zero moisture problems. I also have a pole barn half concrete half gravel with the blue back type insulation on the ceiling with very little moisture problems. I would have to say anything you can do to reduce the huge temp swing would be the answer no matter what go with.

Sorry I don't have a great ceiling picture but you can see enough to get the idea. My boat is under the plastic while a friend is painting his. I was concerned about moisture but not a drop so far.
Attached Thumbnails Steel Buildings for Boat Storage... Condensation?-dsc00454-small-.jpg   Steel Buildings for Boat Storage... Condensation?-dsc00441-small-.jpg  
Old 03-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Ike,
Depends.

HOWEVER, you need 14 feet of clearance to get a cement truck inside. So, you either have to have a concrete buggy or concrete pump to get the concrete where you need it indoors.

The guys that did my garage addition Bob Cat'd the cement inside under the garage door from the street. I didn't want a pumper or the mixer driving on my driveway.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:28 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The guys that did Excursions used a rental dump trailer behind a pickup truck. They would pull it out, and fill it with the mixer, then back it into place, and hit the dump. Not a bad idea for cheap concrete dispersal.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott
I have a foil back insulated ceiling in my work shop zero moisture problems.
Scott - is the foil the only insulation you have??
Old 03-19-2007, 07:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there

Mine is 40 X60 insulated and sheeted on the inside. The first spring I had condensation on the floor but not since. If I could do it over I would have insulation laid under the slab and in floor heat- but no do overs.

The other problem I have is noise. With the sheeting on the walls and ceiling and concrete floor the building is one massive echo chamber.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I built a 54x80x16 building by (fbibuildings.com) out of Indiana last year, and it has been a great shed, we put a 14x14 door but have not insulated it as of yet. I just bought the metal to line the ceiling and then the walls by next winter. As of now I have not had any condensation problems ,and we have had quite a temp change here in Illinois. I did put the heat in the concrete floor but again have not used it this year.

As for living in a shed we are presently living in ours, I built a 20x54 two story house in the shed until we get the big house built in a couple of years, then let my folks move in and use it when there in Illinois for the summer's.

Good luck with what ever you decide on, but remember go 20% bigger then you thought, I did and it worked out well.

Rich.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:11 PM
Registered

Sydwayz,
I built a 32x72x14 Pole barn with a 6" poured concrete floor. I installed a visqueen barrier under the concrete and insulated the entire barn. I also installed an insulated OH door and installed a 93% furnace. The first summer (Last summer) there was such a temp variance between outside and inside on the real hot days that my floor looked as though someone ran a garden hose all day on it. The barn was so insulated I didn't have to install AC! I ended up installing a $1,400.00 April Air dehumidifier and it works like a charm. I can adjust the inside humidity to whatever I want.
Attached Thumbnails Steel Buildings for Boat Storage... Condensation?-000_0140-large-.jpg   Steel Buildings for Boat Storage... Condensation?-000_0153-large-.jpg   Steel Buildings for Boat Storage... Condensation?-000_0155-large-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Steel Buildings for Boat Storage... Condensation?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.