Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Steel Buildings for Boat Storage... Condensation? >

Steel Buildings for Boat Storage... Condensation?

Notices

Steel Buildings for Boat Storage... Condensation?

Old 03-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Steel Buildings for Boat Storage... Condensation?-000_0149-large-.jpg   Steel Buildings for Boat Storage... Condensation?-000_0179-large-.jpg   Steel Buildings for Boat Storage... Condensation?-000_0178-large-.jpg  

Old 03-19-2007, 08:48 PM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by dukenrock
Looks like a extra large tanning room with all those lights. Nice set up.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

sweet buildings
Old 03-19-2007, 09:58 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
Scott - is the foil the only insulation you have??
Yes I plan on having blown in insulation on top of the foil board. I only run the heat when I'm out working it seems to warm up nice without a lot of draft but I'm sure the blown in will help with the gas bill.

From my experience and talking to others it's all about the floor and ceiling barrier to stop the condensation.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BradH
Pics of your barn and house look really familiar...where are you?
19 miles from the Bay. 1 mile off 81 by the truck stops.

I know the place your probably thinking of out of the bay a couple miles past the drive-in?

and yea guys, my bad, I didn't realize we were talking strictly insulated buildings.

mine needs a coat of paint any ideas? spray it w/one of the new latex paints for steel/masonry?

the paint has weathered off as I am on top of a plateau and thats the original 1970 paint on that steel! Whats left is for the most part adhered, so I think with a good powerwash to get what little is lifting/flaky I'll be good to go. The steel itself is in EXCELLENT shape no rust at all on the sheeting

what paint?
what method?
Attached Thumbnails Steel Buildings for Boat Storage... Condensation?-100_0479.jpg  

Last edited by Rippem; 03-19-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Brian,

I have a 30 X 40 pole barn with 1.5" foam isulation with foil on the walls. I have foil insulation for a ceiling. The foil added a ton of light.

I put the boat trailer away wet most of the time since the barn is 100 yards from the ramp. Even drying it off, there is still the trailer bunks and general mositure. After I installed the insulation it started getting musty in the barn.

I took a server cabinet fan, bought a humidistat and louvers from Granger. I installed the fan in the wall near the area where the most water dripped off the trailer. Moist air is heavy so I mounted the fan close to the floor. This took care of the moisture problem. I do run a ceiling fan 24X7 and keep the temp at 40 in the winter.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Rippem;2064068]19 miles from the Bay. 1 mile off 81 by the truck stops.

I know the place your probably thinking of out of the bay a couple miles past the drive-in?
QUOTE]

Thought somewhere laFargeville/Theresa...
Old 03-20-2007, 05:28 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I take it from your profile you have a summer place here?
Old 03-20-2007, 06:32 AM
Registered

Default Steel or wood?

I work on boats, so I am no expert on buildings. No matter what you do look at the resale value. A buyer would rather see it finished. They would not want to come in and have to finish the job.

Heated floors, double tin or block/concrete at least 8 ft up so you can wash the walls after those large sanding jobs. big door, anything that travels down the road should fit in the door with additional room on top after the vessel is in. Hate to see a fan take someone out.

With steel you can install a inexpensive hoist. With wood you need to buy an expensive gantre crane. I guess it is the eye of the beholder. Just my 2 cents.

Billy
Old 03-20-2007, 06:32 AM
Registered

Galvalume is a mixture of zinc and alumium. It has no insulation value. It a coating over the panel.

Quick Reply: Steel Buildings for Boat Storage... Condensation?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.