Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Steel Buildings for Boat Storage... Condensation? >

Steel Buildings for Boat Storage... Condensation?

Notices

Steel Buildings for Boat Storage... Condensation?

Old 03-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking also - garage apartment upstairs too.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
I'm looking also - garage apartment upstairs too.

that's awhole different bag. You're either building a "storage" building as I have, or a "house" that you store chit downstairs.

big, big difference right from the get-go.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sydwayz Have you looked into some kind of dehumidifier. Maybe something like you would need for a indoor pool.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:43 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Pure Energy
Just for comparison, I have a 12x32x12 instant garage, with a polyethalyne cover. It gets very hot inside and there is a lot of humidity. There is mold on the inside walls and in the boat, if left for an extended periods, will get excess mold growth in the cabin.
I've got one of those too....put plastic down on the ground. Cuts the moisture issue down greatly!!!! I can see green growth on the bottom of the plastic and tell it's wet under there occasionally but the "tent" as I call it is as dry as the outside air.....but still hot as crap though.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Ike
Charter Member#93
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Carrboy,

If I have a Pole Barn built, I will be pouring a slab in the building, right up to the base boards of the building, per the barn builders specs. 'excursion' here on OSO has the IDENTICAL building that I may build; and I REALLY like how his is setup.
Brian what size pole barn is that? I am looking at putting a 40x 60 at my house.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rippem
I don't know where you guys live (OK I do) but I'm 20 mins from the border up here and just last week had a 40*+ temp swing in about 12 hours. I've seen as much as 50* in 24 and this happens regularly up here in the spring and fall.

It is NEVER wet and NEVER "condensation rains" either.
My building is BONE DRY 98+% of the time. The other 2% would be a few hours of "moisture" you can just see down low on the hull of a boat while the temp equalizes that's it.

I have NEVER seen the slab damp.

has anybody who's had these issues have enough flow thru ventilation in the top of the building? Front and rear 2'x3' louver vent and a full length vented ridge and as it's a 35 yo 40'x60' building that has been moved once, there are a few spaces here and there. That slab in the pics is 22 years old.
Pics of your barn and house look really familiar...where are you?
Old 03-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Ike
Brian what size pole barn is that? I am looking at putting a 40x 60 at my house.
Ike, James has a 30x74x12 with two 10Hx12W doors.

I am going to go with a 30x60x12 with identical door setup; if I go w/ the pole barn.

If I go with the SteelMaster, it will be 35x62x15. The front end wall will be inset under the roof by 2 feet to create an 'awning' and I will be siding the front of it to match the house, (which is the only thing you can view from the road).
Old 03-19-2007, 03:58 PM
jtmiller02

Pole barn is much more attractive..i helped stick frame a "barn" before, 100x40. It was all 2x6 with truss roof and hardi plank siding. I would go that route if possible 2nd place pole barn. The more attractive it is on the exterior the better. For a lot of buyers a big metal industrial looking building detracts from the appeal if you ever resell.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would look at Morton Buildings too. They put mine up 2 years ago and I can't say enough good things about them. They are a little higher $$ than national barn but you get alot more quality. Haven't had any condesation problems here. PM me if you have any questions.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippem
I don't know where you guys live (OK I do) but I'm 20 mins from the border up here and just last week had a 40*+ temp swing in about 12 hours. I've seen as much as 50* in 24 and this happens regularly up here in the spring and fall.

It is NEVER wet and NEVER "condensation rains" either.
My building is BONE DRY 98+% of the time. The other 2% would be a few hours of "moisture" you can just see down low on the hull of a boat while the temp equalizes that's it.

I have NEVER seen the slab damp.

has anybody who's had these issues have enough flow thru ventilation in the top of the building? Front and rear 2'x3' louver vent and a full length vented ridge and as it's a 35 yo 40'x60' building that has been moved once, there are a few spaces here and there. That slab in the pics is 22 years old.
Your not insulated...that eliminates the condensation issue,and like u said,u have great ventilation.I forgot to ask if it was going to be insulated.I was going by what I have,oops

Quick Reply: Steel Buildings for Boat Storage... Condensation?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.