Notices

2 motors, 1 V-drive help

Old 03-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 2 motors, 1 V-drive help

Working on this boat …. very long story and I don’t want to taint anyone’s thoughts before they answer by going into it.
It has 2 motors that go to one V drive then to one prop. One motor sits in front of the V drive and one in back of it. Both motors have transmissions and don’t worry about motor rotation or anything else but the question. So here goes.
How would you connect the two motors to the V drive?

A,

B,
Old 03-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, set up one engine for reverse rotation then adapt a transfer case to take power from both engines down angle to the prop shaft?
Old 03-25-2011, 08:10 PM
Registered

pic A would be the way it would be done but i have never heard of it
Old 03-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Pic A. Do you have the original V-drive? I assume that you don't. Depending on the drive you use, you would need to rig a straight thru shaft on the top. Basically just add another flange on the opposite side of the case. (easier said than done) The transmissions should allow you to engage / disengage each engine separately, so I think it could be a solid coupling.

Are you going to use crash boxes or standard trannys? How would regular transmissions react to differences in RPM? I would think trying to sync both engines through a borg or similar could create a lot of heat. Crash boxes would effectively lock both engines together when in gear.

I know your boat has a very unique setup, and I can only imagine trying to dock a single with two crash boxes to deal with!

Does any of this make sense???
Old 03-25-2011, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

start over (one engine two props) and two trannys

pic A is the only way it will work if there is any over drive in the v drive
Old 03-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
Pic A. Do you have the original V-drive? I assume that you don't. Depending on the drive you use, you would need to rig a straight thru shaft on the top. Basically just add another flange on the opposite side of the case. (easier said than done) The transmissions should allow you to engage / disengage each engine separately, so I think it could be a solid coupling.

Are you going to use crash boxes or standard trannys? How would regular transmissions react to differences in RPM? I would think trying to sync both engines through a borg or similar could create a lot of heat. Crash boxes would effectively lock both engines together when in gear.

I know your boat has a very unique setup, and I can only imagine trying to dock a single with two crash boxes to deal with!

Does any of this make sense???

Have the original Casale 1000 (only about 40 made), 1.09 to 1. A B/W Velvet drive, 1 to 1 on each motor.
As I said I don't want to get into all the logistics until I get a consensus on how folks would do it if it was theirs. I will be more then very happy to discuss it all then.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

What boat is this in? I would realy like to see some pics.

I like the odd ball projects.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by lightning jet
What boat is this in? I would realy like to see some pics.

I like the odd ball projects.
http://www.supernova19.com/nova_24_race_boat_home.htm
Old 03-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
nice project , have you called casale and talked to them , i used to talk to Andy out there but it has been years and he was older so i am not sure if he is still around.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mikes280
nice project , have you called casale and talked to them , i used to talk to Andy out there but it has been years and he was older so i am not sure if he is still around.
Thanks
The V drive it's self is not an issue. How to install it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.