Notices

Piratecom Intercom System

Old 03-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who here has been running and intercom system for a while now in there boat?And what and where do you find yourself using it the most?Poker runs only,causual running,and or any time running all out.I think the concept of having extra eyes on the water and other boats around you is great,but if the passengers cant hear each other what good is it.I was in one run this past summer that some how the pace boat reversed course and we had to cut throught the tail end of the pack running full speed.I had five other people on the boat all trying to tell me who was where and where I should go but with all the other boats and wind noise I couldnt hear a thing.This was the main reason for looking for a system to have aboard for this coming season.I also like the idea that I can have my co-pilot call me from the truck as he is backing me down the ramp to launch and I can talk to him through my head sets and have both hands free to get the boat running and drive off the trailer.

Nordic95

Last edited by nordic95; 03-20-2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are an absolute must on poker runs. I also have mine rigged up to my VHF and am able to communicate to other boats while running. OSO Steve and I conversed between boats all the way to Islamorada last month and we both relized how important the communication was
Old 03-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by otis311
They are an absolute must on poker runs. I also have mine rigged up to my VHF and am able to communicate to other boats while running. OSO Steve and I conversed between boats all the way to Islamorada last month and we both relized how important the communication was
I think the communication is going to be one of the major safety factors in this sport as more and more boats attend these runs.At the Atlantic city run two years ago just as we came down Toms river I heard a Pan-Pan-pan sent out by the coast guard for a boat they were assisting that was taking on water.I only heard it because I was just turning on my hand held VHF radio and had it close to my ear.They asked all boats to come off plane at the mouth of the river,well I guess no one else heard this but me because every one in the group took off and ran right around the boat with the lights on except me,then I was the one getting the looks and hands up in the air.So I think we should ask people to help out and try to carry the right equipment for the run so every one can run safe.

Nordic95
Old 03-21-2007, 01:39 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

If you are in a direct blast of air, anyone know if will they cut down on wind noise?

Michael
Old 03-21-2007, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1
If you are in a direct blast of air, anyone know if will they cut down on wind noise?

Michael
They make filters for the mics, but there will still be a certain amount of wind noise.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Michael1

Michael
Yes,thats why they offer two different head sets.One is good for about 80 MPH direct wind and the high performance is for above 80 mph.Both offer noise cancelation and have squelch adjustment to compensate for wind preassure.

Nordic95