Notices

Baron Help!?!?!?

Old 03-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baron Help!?!?!?

I have a 1983 Baron 190. I bought the boat under the impression that it was a Powerplay 185XLT however I am now aware of the differences and believe it is a Baron - rounded keel (not pointed like the Powerplay) and the gas tank in the floor. Also, Power Quest has advised that they did not manufacture this particular boat.

Anyway, I have the hull ID number on the ownership but cannot find it on the hull on the stern corner where most ID numbers are found.

There are a few Baron owners on this site and I have read some of the posts. Can any Baron expert tell me where I can find the hull ID number and any other important info? I do have a jpeg of the original Baron specs.

Many thanks...
Old 03-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a 1978 baron it is a great boat.i think a 1983 could be one of the first xlt's. the first powerplay xlt's had a round keel also. is the hatch wood or fiberglass? the fuel tank in the floor is a much better ride then in the bow. and the barons have no hook in the end of the hull. the id on my is on the right rear. pm tommymonza on this site his brother was the builder. hope this helps.
todd
The following users liked this post:
SB (07-20-2020)
Old 03-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Todd. You are right - after reading tommymonza's post on another thread on this site - because my boat is an '83 it was probably the one of the first Powerplays made with the Baron molds. My hatch is fiberglass.

It is a sweet ride. Pretty much all original and near perfect condition.

Last edited by gfecht; 03-27-2007 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 584 Likes on 240 Posts

Lets see some pictures.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Baron

Hull 'd number is located on the rear upper on the transom. Mine reads.... BDN001550178.
what number boat out of the 14 do I have? I have the TRS drive on it. It's red with white top. Black motor. No insignia on it. Has red n white bolstetnround seats, red carpet, white rear cushion and engine cover cushion is white. It has trim tabs and ss prop. It also has a teak swim platform on it and the hatch is wood with glass over it. Came with eagle red trailer.

Last edited by Baronowner3; 07-19-2020 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Spell check
Old 07-19-2020, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 253 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Baronowner3
Hull 'd number is located on the rear upper on the transom. Mine reads.... BDN001550178.
what number boat out of the 14 do I have? I have the TRS drive on it. It's red with white top. Black motor. No insignia on it. Has red n white bolstetnround seats, red carpet, white rear cushion and engine cover cushion is white. It has trim tabs and ss prop. It also has a teak swim platform on it and the hatch is wood with glass over it. Came with eagle red trailer.
you realize that thread is 13 years old? lol
Old 07-20-2020, 04:30 AM
Registered

Yes, I realize that. But there are not any other threads or posts on any other site. I just would like to know more info on these boats. I have friends that OEM them too. Probably 4 of us. Maybe more around lake saint Clair. I think I have the first one. It has the TRS input, it's not a 260 merc motor. And the hatch is wood with glass. Makes me wonder. Someone painted the lower transom white too. It was red.
The following users liked this post:
SB (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 09:20 AM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you just sell it or buy it? I had seen it for sale recently.
Also if you do a search on here there was talk of that boat quite a while ago, and I believe that someone mentioned that the original selling dealer was Blue Lagoon and it was in the 1978 Autorama.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:21 AM
Registered

Default Baron

I saw that too. It had the 280/TRS instead of the merc 260/alpha because they couldn't get it in time for the show. The drive has been peeling away for years. That paint is really thick.

Yes, I just bought it last week. I've been looking for one forever. Not really trying, but always looking. Finally found one. I do indeed might have the Owners boat. I don't know. I wish I knew how to contact him. I know Tommy Monza is his brother but i cant get a hold of him either. This thread is old. Supposedly, this is the only Baron with TRS setup and motor in it.
looks like the lower transom was painted white for some reason. You can see red underneath it where it's flaking a little.
Replaced the pitot. It was broken. Refinished the teak platform and step side teak slats.lools better. Engine cover is wood. It's very heavy. It's covered with fiberglass too. Bet it weighs 65 lbs. Red n white bolster seats, electronic compass in the dash. It works. Gas tank in floor.

Last edited by Baronowner3; 07-20-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:31 AM
Registered

Serial number is BDN001550178. 01/78...means that's the year and month built. So yeah, one of the first . They started building them 1978. That's the first month. Serial number is 00155. It's located on the upper right of the transom in the glass.