Like Tree0Likes

futre of the sport..why we shoot ourselves in the foot..

Old 04-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

My Boats: Being a great husband and dad , boats , golf

Ok here's my .02 cents worth.

The sport WILL NOT grow until it has a place to call home. What was NASCAR until they had Daytona? A bunch of redneck boot legging hill billy's running around in circles on dirt and sand. If offshore powerboat racing had a gated / fan paying site , it would grow. My vision is to buy some undeveloped , oil slickened , hurricane destructed piece of land in Louisiana or Mississippi. I can picture it in my mind: Gated - parking - concrete pads for racers / dry pits , etc. Fans in motor homes flying Fountain - Baja - Outerlimts flags. Grandstands on the inside - flat water - hosing down fans. Run down the straight away and out the cut to the outside where it's rough and huge jumbotrons keeping the fans up to date until they come back inside. Other groups could rent the track for testing , drag races - tunnel boats , etc. Trust me the sport will never go anywhere until it has a home. I told my vision to Scott w/ AMF at The Miami Boat Show , he was like wow? If I were John Haggin I'd find some property , investors , develop it and make real offshore powerboat racing history. John Haggin could be the next Bill France! Daytona , Talledega , Martinsville , etc built NASCAR. It's all in the sites. This site could also include the Offshore Powerboat Racing Hall of Fame (so many x racers deserve this) BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME! Just my .02 worth!
Old 04-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiklos View Post
The problem is the racers are the customers not the fans.
Splash!
Old 04-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (3)

My Boats: 22 Avanti, 25 Nova, 2 turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree,SBYC

yes..the racer and crew will always be a customer.. they are a customer of the race promotor (you want something, a place to race..he has it) and of the sponsor (sooner or later your going to want something, and the sponsor is hoping your going to get it from him)
Old 04-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

chippin it you guys are from York? I can't believe we don't know each other
Team Wild Ride svl#51 right up the road in camphill
Old 04-02-2007, 05:46 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC

Anybody notice that Snowmobile racing is on the Speed Channel?...... in weekend prime time?

I also watched a guy show me how to service a garden tractor ..on Two Guy's Garage...again on Speed Channel...Saturday morning. .....riveting stuff.

With all the complaining about not comparing Offshore Racing to Nascar..... Is anybody still so hard headed as to believe you can't compare Offshore racing to Snowmobile racing.....or lawn implement preventive maintenance????

Just keep telling ourselves what a wonderful job the sport, promotors, and sanctioning groups are doing.

Maybe we'll wake up when they start putting cooking competitions on instead of the Key West World's......

Oh wait!...They already do..... They call it "Iron Chef".

T2x

P.S. I don't think they charge admission to the "Kitchen Stadium".

Last edited by T2x; 04-02-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Registered

My Boats: 24' Pantera

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2x View Post
Anybody notice that Snowmobile racing is on the Speed Channel?...... in weekend prime time?

I also watched a guy show me how to service a garden tractor ..on Two Guy's Garage...again on Speed Channel...Saturday morning. .....riveting stuff.
Yeah, I watched that too...
Damn thing didn't even need servicing to boot.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Registered

My Boats: little cat...BIG MOTOR

my observations from the Toronto race last year as a race volunteer.

Crews in the pits...nice, friendly, open.

Some of the OSS officials in the pits.........arrogant, ignorant, self important. Please note I said "some".

I'll take the race teams anyday.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

My Boats: Former Boat Btch, now I just dream

Louie .... Eric is gonna kill you

Airpacker ... bet I can guess which ones

Btw ... I think the fans are the race teams customers and the race teams are the organizations customers. If the organizations would keep the teams happy, the teams would be able to do the same with the fans ...

Whats that saying about something rolling down hill ...
Old 04-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Registered
VIP Member

My Boats: 40 Skater

I started the SCL thread asking the question was the start legal and posted some nice photos to look at and make the call.Some of my statement included A** kicking which I removed.
That said I have been around Offshore racing since my farther raced with Cigarette in the late 60s & 70s and have owned many performance boats with large power.
Me and Richie grew up racing and watching Al copeland through the decades.He has made the step to start racing with no backing from anyone.I'm also thinking of giving up the poker run skater for a chance of holding the checkered flag.
Myself and 2 sons have maintained,converted,built drives,motors wrenched through the night just to make a poker run.27yrs 6 perfomance boats many long hrs,blood,sweet and green have trained us like machines.
To see that start go bad I felt the pain and new he would not only lose but not complete the race.Alot of time and money went into his MTI to lose that way.Just seemed like they could have done a restart.
I did spend money on a vip package not to count the grand or so i spent at the Beau Rivage.I spent most of my day explaining to the fans who new nothing what was going on.
One racer jump my thread for not being a racer,and I replyed.He also has his view and I do respect that,but someone else may have said the hell with this sport and moved on.The family of OSO is some of the best in supporting
racing and performance boating, but we all most keep an opening mind.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:00 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Racers aren't the customers , tried that. They shouldn't have to pay HUGE AMOUNTS of cash to race and get 0 in reurn! They should be making money. Our sport is nothing more than an expensive hobby. See my earlier post - gated , ticketed events. Racing turbines , spec classes , etc aren't going anywhere until you can get hundreds of thousands of fans watching and paying for their viewing pleasure. Haggin , Copeland , Dave Scott , Stan Ware , etc could make this happen. Call a meeting , rent a helicopter , get busy!