Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
futre of the sport..why we shoot ourselves in the foot.. >

futre of the sport..why we shoot ourselves in the foot..

Notices

futre of the sport..why we shoot ourselves in the foot..

Old 03-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts
Default futre of the sport..why we shoot ourselves in the foot..

I was just reading the SCL start thread..and couldnt help thinking (yes I know thinking is bad..it causes headaches) anyways the thread started because someone (a spectator) thought the start looked odd to him..he even posted piks to illustrate his point. He was greeted by replies like unless you race, you dont know jack...stop monday morning quaterbacking etc.. whether he owns a bout or not isnt important, whether hes been boating since 1949 isnt important, what is important is that as a spectator he saw something and questioned it. of the many threads recently about how to make the sport grow... we need to encourage growth if its going to happen. As a sport grows people are going to see it, they are going to ask questions to understand it, they are going to monday morning quarter back it,(thats what a sports fan does) they are going to talk about it..they are gonna sit back with a beer and imagine themselves behinde the wheel, on the throttles or throwing that long pass that wins the big game..that inturn gets other people interested in it, brings out more spectators to races, bigger crowds bring more money, more money brings more sponsors, more sponsors and money bring tv, tv brings more people into the sport, some of these people will buy boats, some will go on to do poker runs..some will be biten by the bug and start racing..thats our future. next time someone posses a question we need to answer it not criticize him for asking. if you know what happened or the answer or whatever, explain it. the only stupid question is the one never asked.. To survive and grow we must bring people into our circle..not chastise and chase them away. just my 2 cents...

Last edited by phragle; 03-30-2007 at 12:41 PM. Reason: proof reading, but I prolly still screwed it up
Old 03-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Registered

or too put over simplify my rambling comments:
It only takes 2 boats and a body of water to have a race, thats easy..
What we really want is a prime time sport..
A prime time sport is entertainment
entertainment is a buisness
A buisness will fail without customers
Our customers are the spectators, in person or watching tv etc.
With poor customer service, a buisness looses costomers.
We need to work on our customer service.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:29 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marylandmark
You would think people successful enough in business to afford to race in such an expensive sport would have caught on to that theory by now...

My 2 cents as someone else posted before is that most of them do have big money so us pee-on's don't matter.

It doesn't matter to them that I spent a few hundred bucks sitting in a bar watching them race. It made the bar owner happy and the bar owner would have wished more people were there but most of the guys racing could careless about me, the bar making money or any thing else as long as they are "right" regardless of where the sport heads...
Hey Mark,
We care about you, but then again we don't have any money lol. keep the faith it's getting better.
Louietherigger
"Strictly Business 206"
Old 03-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=marylandmark;2076111]

My 2 cents as someone else posted before is that most of them do have big money so us pee-on's don't matter.

QUOTE]

I wouldnt say that. I have known quite a few wealthy people in boating, in racing, in life in general.BY far, the great majority of them being good people..and Im one broke bastard. think about it..a bad attitude closes a lot more dorrs than it opens. to be succesful in anything usually requires walking thru quite a few open doors.

Now what I would say is that it doesnt take very much sour milk in your fruity pebbles to have the breakfast experience leave a bad taste in your mouth.

I am glad however that you made that post and expressed your opinion. You my friend are a classic example of a dissatisfied customer and are speaking your mind. We need to listen and take heed.

And if a $10 dollar entry fee into the pits keeps you from supporting Louie, come look fro me and I will not only reimburse your $10 bucks..I will buy you a beer I will be at algonac, st clair and smoke

Last edited by phragle; 03-30-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by marylandmark
Thanks man! I will buy a shirt from your crew the next race I attend to help support your team!

(that is if I don't have to pay $10/person to get in the pits... )
Tee shirts om me! thanks for the support!
Old 03-30-2007, 03:33 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=
(that is if I don't have to pay $10/person to get in the pits... )[/QUOTE]

And here is the real problem with the current set-up for Offshore Racing -- There is no way for an Offshore Racing Organization, Race Promoter, or anyone else to charge an admission or gate. As such, where does the $$ for a race come from? Well, take your pick - either from the Racer's pockets, the locale/city where the race is being held, from sponsors with deep pockets, or the sanctioning body itself. History shows us what happens to these business models over time. They are not sustainable.

There has been lots of discussion over the years about sponsors, TV Coverage, etc. , and lots of comparisons to NASCAR as the sport we should look to as a model. So tell me ... how much would you "Pay" to get into a NASCAR pit? How much have you paid to go see a NASCAR, Drag, or off-road race? Would you pay to go see an Offshore Race?

While there are some who may not like the reply(ies) to questions asked in other threads and have strong feelings about it (which is your right -- and I won't argue that), I would argue that is but a minor blip on the radar screen. Once Offshore Racing can become a sustainable business by being able to control the racecourse venues and charge admission, we're all just spinning our wheels.

BTW - this reply is NOT directed to the person I'm quoting. I'm using that quote to make a point - so no offense is intended
Old 03-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Registered

i agree that a stupid question is one not asked.

personally, I wouldnt have a problem answering his questions, however one would feel that the way he asked it was a bit inciteful. Dont you think?

If he didnt know the rules, he had a hell of a way of placing blame.

I dont think race teams wish to push any fans or spectators away. we appreciate you no matter how fast your boat runs or how much money you have. but if you ask us a question by making allegations, your going to encounter some resistance.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Registered

I don't agree at all with the post on charging at the gates being a major source of funding. Television and the following sponsorship is where it's at. Think aobut it. Do you really think sports like golf, drag racing, etc. Benefit all that much from the $$$ made from the few folks that happen to show up or the millions watching it from home seeing the sponsor names and commercials??????

If we could lock in television that is when I think our sport will really grow. How many of us watched boat racing from Europe on saturday mornings and wondered why the hell aren't they showing races from the US????? We have much better looking boats, more animated racers/teams and I would think just as big of sponsors with our professional teams. AMF has made a great start in getting the sport out to the masses but we really need to land a nationwide contract to see headway. Hell what ever organization is successful in locking in a television contract is bound to see a large jump in boat count....it sure would make it easier to get sponsorship if they knew the boat would be on national tv!!!!
Old 03-30-2007, 04:00 PM
Registered

Television and nationwide sponsors are the long term answer -- but how do you get there? You cannot keep relying forever on either the racers paying all the bills, trying to get the towns on the circuit to pony up the $$$ for a race, or relying on people like Mr. Haggin to pay the bills. At some point people have to start showing a return on their investment or the money dries up. This is what the last 20 - 30 odd years have shown us.

When a race site can make enough money to cover the bills, pay the racers, and have seed money for the next year's race, then good things will start happening which would allow the proper positioning of Offshore Racing for TV and national sponsors. If sites could control and charge admission then this becomes a reality. This is not somethng that is happening now.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:00 PM
Registered

WRC rally racing..is huge just about everywhere but here..yet it happens on country roads with no admission..same thing with desert racing. gate fees are small..race sunday..sell monday..doesnt matter if its boats, or a power saw seen on the home depot add during the race coverage

Quick Reply: futre of the sport..why we shoot ourselves in the foot..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.