Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
futre of the sport..why we shoot ourselves in the foot.. >

futre of the sport..why we shoot ourselves in the foot..

Notices

futre of the sport..why we shoot ourselves in the foot..

Old 04-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian,

Why would they do this? So they can become owners instead of racers? Do they want another career? I think not. They (we) want a diversion from what they already do to make a living. We enjoy this hobby and the people we meet be they friends, fans, or acquaintances. If someone wants to take offshore racing to a new level, they'll have to be willing to take the risk and put in the time and own it.

J
Old 04-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To make a difference. Bill France was a racer once upon a time. He had a vision and went for it!
Old 04-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Registered

He became the organizer of the sanctioning body and made a business of it. Anyone on the list want to give up their day job, take the bull by the horns and go for it? The recipe is simple. 1.) Have a series and run the races in the same place at the same time year after year.
2.) Have some guys with disposable income to come and race.
3.) Have a good set of rules that are enforced fairly.
4.) Hang on until a company like R.J Reynolds comes looking for a place to advertise with some big $$$ to spread around and you'll have your next overnight success.

Offshore needs a sponsor with a socially acceptable vice. It's absolutely amazing what money can do.

J
Old 04-02-2007, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont rember last time we charged for a tshirt. i was a spectator once. i enjoy the people asking questions about our sport. we welcome them at truck stops or autograph sessions at hospitals. come one come all, peppers racing is open
Old 04-03-2007, 12:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flashwave
He became the organizer of the sanctioning body and made a business of it. Anyone on the list want to give up their day job, take the bull by the horns and go for it? The recipe is simple. 1.) Have a series and run the races in the same place at the same time year after year.
2.) Have some guys with disposable income to come and race.
3.) Have a good set of rules that are enforced fairly.
4.) Hang on until a company like R.J Reynolds comes looking for a place to advertise with some big $$$ to spread around and you'll have your next overnight success.

Offshore needs a sponsor with a socially acceptable vice. It's absolutely amazing what money can do.

J

Jim,

Some guy I know from KW has been doing the above recipe for 20 some odd years now, dang I sure wish I could remember his name though. Why do racers keep insisting on tearing the sport apart? You had one of the best teams in F1, why dont you race anymore? even with Hollis offer of the unbelievable purses he only got one team to sign up. Why dont we have tv? well I know the answer to that one, unpaid bills from other organizations in the past have ruined it for the current and new associations. Offshore has a bad reputation due to its history with major business and at least in the CART-IRL deal they can coexist due to they only split once, we have split how many times now(I dont have that many fingers) It is what it is and what race girl described is NASCAR and the goals that we should strive for, unfortunatly Steve M hit it on the head, the racers are the customers.

Trent
Old 04-03-2007, 08:45 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Jim:

It'll never be nothing but a hobby until offshore has a home , period! With all the zillionare's money out there not one of them has put a plan together to atleast build a hall of fame. We have builders , land developers , etc and everyone's ego is so big they want give back a dime to the sport. It's pathetic! We need organization , unity and someone with a vision and of course $$$$$.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
Jim:

It'll never be nothing but a hobby until offshore has a home , period! With all the zillionare's money out there not one of them has put a plan together to atleast build a hall of fame. We have builders , land developers , etc and everyone's ego is so big they want give back a dime to the sport. It's pathetic! We need organization , unity and someone with a vision and of course $$$$$.
And dont forget beer
heheheheh
Old 04-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by phragle
And dont forget beer
heheheheh
Yea that's another problem w/ racing - haha!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:18 AM
Registered

Trent & Brian,

You see the first 3 parts of the recipe exist today in Offshore racing. The only part missing now is #4.

Keep in mind there are all kinds of motor sports who have parts 1-3 and are also waiting for #4 to come to the party.

J
Old 04-03-2007, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

I equate boat racing to roadracing. Many classes, many different sanctioning bodies over the years, little prize money or paying spectators.
Bad question to ask here but during offshore racings golden era did drug money fund a lot of teams ? It sure did in IMSA roadracing.
ed

Quick Reply: futre of the sport..why we shoot ourselves in the foot..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.