Notices

Gas Turbines

Old 04-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
turbines are cool for lots of reasons but that noise issue HAS to be addressed if you ever want to see them in anything other than a "exibition" type setting....... I was at our ramp a couple of yrs ago and a guy had a turbine boat and I have seen the Unlimiteds run.......personally I thought this guys boat was cool, but trust me there were LOTS of people around who didnt (park like setting with restaraunts etc).......I couldnt imagine having a place on the water and having him as my nextdoor nieghbour........we got enough cops and insurance companys sniffing around our sport........keep going full speed on the noise thing.....that will be the turbines downfall.
At the risk of getting flamed for repitition... WE have a noise reduction solution for the turbine engine installation... it is relatively simple engineering... you just have to be willing to do it... ie. spend the bucks to make it quiet.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Registered

rocketboat, do you have any pics/vids of your turbine SeaDoo?
Old 04-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ToTheMax
awesome thread!

Do you envision gas turbines prices becoming more reasonable with further marine refinements?

As well, is it true that they burn fuel at the same rate at idle as they do running high speed?

Last year I got a quote for 90K for two T53s L13Bs 1600HP
These were marinized versions.

Compare that to two Merc 1075,s or maybe
some Sterling 1200s
Old 04-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ToTheMax
awesome thread!

Do you envision gas turbines prices becoming more reasonable with further marine refinements?

As well, is it true that they burn fuel at the same rate at idle as they do running high speed?
We actually have a program going on with another company and a university here in Canada to design and build a recreational use turbine engine. It should be more economical to build as we will wind up sacrificing some of the high tech lightweight alloys (Expensive) for some more economical but heavier materials. We are also looking at implementing a heat recuperation system similar to that first designed by GM when they were looking at turbines for automotive use, and currently in use in M1 tanks. The heat recuperation system will improve the fuel efficiency of the turbine engine by almost 40%. This is a long and involved design process however and funding is limited so dont look for it for a few years... but when it does get put out.... well... lookout MERC. !!

They do not burn fuel at the same rate at idle as they do at full speed... this is a myth. It is based on the fact that a turbine engine typically idles at 45% of its maximum rotational speed. The fuel burn is still high, but not as high as at full throttle. If fuel burn was the same you would be releasing the same ammount of energy... and thus there would not be any point in having a throttle.

Last edited by rocketboat; 04-03-2007 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hay gerry thats what i used to do worked at willaims international in walled lake michigan. we built the turbine engine for the cruise missle tomahawk .i was in r/d ran them in test cells and tore em down and built em and tested em. was real ,cool them we did small buisness jet engins faa certification bird strikes and hail strikes and shaft seperation way cool stuff.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the info. This is awesome.

A few more questions:

If you have T53's, you can still use #6 drives ?
But what when you use T55's ? What kind of drives? What kind of tranny can handle that ?

I've read about mid-size yachts that use Turbines and Kamewa Waterjet propulsion? How does that work?
Can that work in offshore powerboat applications ?
Old 04-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JIMKID Motorsports
Hay gerry thats what i used to do worked at willaims international in walled lake michigan. we built the turbine engine for the cruise missle tomahawk .i was in r/d ran them in test cells and tore em down and built em and tested em. was real ,cool them we did small buisness jet engins faa certification bird strikes and hail strikes and shaft seperation way cool stuff.

Pretty cool!
Keep a look out for some L13b,s for me
Old 04-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Registered

Knot-Right... called your cell earlier today. Have a pair of L13B's available... 705-790-7702 let's talk!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rockstrmkr
Thanks for all the info. This is awesome.

A few more questions:

If you have T53's, you can still use #6 drives ?
But what when you use T55's ? What kind of drives? What kind of tranny can handle that ?

I've read about mid-size yachts that use Turbines and Kamewa Waterjet propulsion? How does that work?
Can that work in offshore powerboat applications ?
My sixes had the T53l13bs before them and I can tell ya
the Upper shafts have a 1/2 inch twist to the splines.
This is evidence in the throttling problem in the turbines.
Not to mention the amount of torque being applied to the drives.
The lowers in my sixes are missing more teeth then
a montana redneck.
OSO member Marinetrans has the parts all over his bench.
Maybe if he see,s this he will post a picture.

Arnesons would be a better choice or a fixed drive such as the BPM.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rocketboat
Knot-Right... called your cell earlier today. Have a pair of L13B's available... 705-790-7702 let's talk!

I just called you!

Quick Reply: Gas Turbines

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.