Notices

powdercoating, anodizing

Old 02-10-2002, 08:36 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Post powdercoating, anodizing

Anyone have your float bowls and carb body anodized red? Do they come out to be bright red or just a dull red?
How about powdercoating, same parts, plus pulleys, valve covers and anything else that 'needs' it.
Which is best and most durable?

Anyone have pics of carbs or motors that have been colored? Looking for ideas on what all to do, linkage and such, 'cept for the block.
Thanks,
Jerry
Old 02-10-2002, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of our OSO members (P29 SCARAB) just finished his stroker SBC's w/ Prochargers and they look great- he might have some input for you! http://www.gcoffshore.com/gco_files/...es/Engboth.jpg
Old 02-10-2002, 09:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hey Us fountain,
I have powdercoated just about every acces. pulley,brackets,blower pulleys,valve covers,alternaters and engine mounts with the exception of carbs. I have not tried one yet.Ther is over a hundred different colors to choose from.
Old 02-10-2002, 10:10 AM
Registered

MaxPerf........I'd be interested in how (or who) did yours. I am going to refinish my valve covers (blue), and want to keep the original engine colors.

Bob
Old 02-10-2002, 11:23 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I'm having all of my engine brackets and K-planes done locally. $150 for everything, including beading them.

I painted the carbs. They came back from Teague all cleaned up, so it was a good time. I don't have any pictures yet.
Old 02-10-2002, 11:28 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

After having spent an obsurd amount of time polishing my intake manifold so it was perfect, I was advised to having it powder coated clear. My original intent was to paint it with a clear enamel. Although the manifold is still shiny, it is not nearly as brilliant as before. As durable as powdercoating may be, I'm rather disappointecd.
Old 02-10-2002, 06:17 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Thanks guys! Thinking powdercoating some stuff to give it some zippy looks. As far as the carb body, I would assume that the ends, top and bottom will be taped off and not coated. correct? Any more pics/ideas would be great!

Jerry
Old 02-10-2002, 06:21 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Cord, know what you mean. I made a custom VHF removeable ant. mount out of Al. last year that I wanted chrome plated. Plating business said they couldn't do it as the etch would pit the Al. So I just buffed it to a mirror finish and then clear lacquered it immediatly afterwards. Still shinny, but not near as shiney as before the spray.
Jerry
Old 02-10-2002, 07:55 PM
Registered

I've had just about everything in my engine compartment powdercoated, with the exeption of the blocks, heads & Carbs. As far as anything that fits together, it can be masked of. I chose not to do my carbs bacuse that wan't the look I wanted. I think it shines much better than anodizing, and it is suppsed to be 10 times harder than paint. Also, it's cheaper than anodizing. My motors are appart right now, but I will post some pix before I put them back in.
Old 02-10-2002, 10:46 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts
I did my drive, headers, valve covers, intake and all the brackets with a two stage powder with makes it more like a candy color.

Quick Reply: powdercoating, anodizing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.