Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Need advise on Jet Ski's...SEA-DOO/Kawasaki (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/155149-need-advise-jet-skis-sea-doo-kawasaki.html)

clearcut3 04-04-2007 10:05 AM

I've had a Yamaha XLT1200 for 3 years now and I've never done anything to it except put gas and oil in it(2 stroke). It runs 60-65 depending on who is on it and my wife is VERY comfortable on it.

ToTheMax 04-04-2007 10:09 AM

I would look into the Yamaha 3-seaters. They have an excellent ride (especially in rough stuff), not to mention the best of all worlds when it comes to technology, reliability and performance. The new Kawi's look interesting, especially if they have new hull designs. Based on past experience I wasn't thrilled with their ride quality, but they were definitely reliable as well.

I wouldn't touch a Sea-Doo with a 10ft pole.

yesrej 04-04-2007 10:29 AM

my brother has a supercharged sea-doo with about two hundred hours on it and she still runs strong. and for service, the dealer comes and picks it up does what he has to and drops it back off. id go for the sea-doo.

monstaaa 04-04-2007 12:00 PM

according to the watercraft tech here, the ultra 150 is still a 2 stroke which is going to be antiquated soon .
the stx 15's are all 4 stroke and from that stand ponit you really cant go wrong. better quality, technology, better hull.

good luck

the duke 04-04-2007 12:33 PM

The Ultra 150 is very fast, BUT its a hull that is better for doing donuts with than anything else. If someone just likes to play, its great. If you want to ride and turn, it stinks. Its also a much older design. Its been around for a while.

The SC Doo is fast (68 on GPS) and very stable. It turns like its on rails. It will turn inside the 150 all day long. Its also pretty dry. when you hit a wake, it goes over it, not through it. As far as dependable, the one we ride is ridden by dozens of people every day, at mostly WOT and it runs like a champ. Sea Doo has about 50% of the market, so it stands to reason that you will see more of them broken than a company that has 10% of the market.

The new 250 is a huge boat. about 1000 lbs. It has wicked acceleration, almost twice as quick as the 3 up SC Doo. The only info out there is from Mags and test rides. Boating Mag just did it, and liked it except for saying that when they hit a large wake, that it pushed through it, and the water came right back in their face. Its a mid 60's top end ski.

captdave 04-04-2007 12:35 PM

i have 2 3 seater Sea Doos that i beat the crap out of
and have had no problem. They are the choice for
me anyway

29scarab 04-04-2007 12:50 PM

I'm going to step out on a limb here, but have you thought about other brand other than those?

I own a HONDA F12X turbo and bought it brand new in 2002. The 4 -stroke engine is awesome and easy on fuel. I have a 16 year old that drives the snot out of it. We have still had zero problems out of it.

The wife and I have pulled two big kids on a tube and it is extremely stable 3 seater.

Just thought I would throw something in for ya.

Good luck with your choice.

Ryan Beckley 04-04-2007 12:53 PM

I just spoke with my guy at www.ActionJetSports.com they are one of my sponsors, and he said the new Ultra 250 is the baddest boat on the water and that Kawi is a better company to deal with. He also said that Yamaha doesn't have a boat that competes with the Kawi or Sea Doo. If you need to know more call Curtis at 941-745-9521

mjpcowboy 04-04-2007 01:33 PM

Just curious how many people that have slammed the SeaDoo acutally have had one in the last decade. I have had Yamaha's and a honda in the last few years and would recommend the SeaDoo without any reservation. Dont know yet about the ultra 250 but I know my RXT will run circles out of anything else stock out there.

bluellama 04-04-2007 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by LapseofReason (Post 2080915)
Kaw, or Yam. we have 60 watercraft at the shop now for repair 50 of them are Sea doos. The supercharged motors are junk the others are ok.

I love stats.... :D

Of all the PWC's in North America what kind of ratio would you expect to see as far as SeaDoo vs The Others ???
If you know that ratio, then your "50 out of 60 PWC's are SeaDoo's" means something.

If Seadoo's account for 98% of all PWC's in your area, then having 83% Seadoo's in your shop is no big thing. If SeaDoo accounts for 65% of all PWC's in your area, then having 83% SeaDoo's in your shop could mean trouble.