Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Need advise on Jet Ski's...SEA-DOO/Kawasaki (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/155149-need-advise-jet-skis-sea-doo-kawasaki.html)

Jassman 04-03-2007 04:20 PM

Need advise on Jet Ski's...SEA-DOO/Kawasaki

My neihbor wants to buy 2 ski's. He is looking at a Kawasaki Ultra 250 (250hp) and possibly the Ultra LX (160hp) for his wife. The other is the See-Doo RTX (215hp) and the GTX which is (155hp). All 3 seaters.

I have SeeDoo's and havent had any problems, but dont want to sway him the wrong way. ALL 4 are competitvely priced.

Thanks for any advise. Jeff

jdub 04-03-2007 05:00 PM

I wouldn't buy the Ultra 150, tell him to get the STX-15F for his wife. It's a better ride, 4 stroke, better on gas, just as fast. As far as the SEA-DOO or KAWI supercharged the KAWI is new this season, you know how that is. When the new SEA-DOO supercharged came out my buddies sank to the bottom of the bay because of a bad seal. If I had to choose though I would take the KAWI, its gonna be bad!

TexomaPowerboater 04-03-2007 05:02 PM

SEA DOO

Biased though.

Anybody want a 93 Sea Doo XP with a great trailer. Trailer is probobly worth more than the jetski. I will practically give it away - say $900. Trailer is like new

cbeastwood 04-03-2007 06:11 PM

I'm concerned about the Kawi hull design with an engine of that output - they've never been known for 'stable' hulls. If you want a proven design, go with the Supercharged SeaDoo's.

LapseofReason 04-03-2007 08:02 PM

Kaw, or Yam. we have 60 watercraft at the shop now for repair 50 of them are Sea doos. The supercharged motors are junk the others are ok.

Jassman 04-04-2007 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by LapseofReason (Post 2080915)
Kaw, or Yam. we have 60 watercraft at the shop now for repair 50 of them are Sea doos. The supercharged motors are junk the others are ok.

Thanks, any problems with the Kawasaki Ultra250x as of yet, I hear it is very thirsty.

Chris288 04-04-2007 07:33 AM

I have two ultra 150's, they are far from stable, but are very fast, depending on his wife's experience and comfort level it may or may not be the best choice. The ultra 250 is HUGE !!! sure it's 250 hp, but it also weighs over 900lbs. It all depends on what your looking to do with the PWC's, cruise, play, all out speed, comfort, handling..

Iggy 04-04-2007 08:31 AM

we have 60 watercraft at the shop now for repair 50 of them are Sea doos.
I heard the same thing many years ago. The Sea-Doo's are always in the shop.
If I was to choose today, I'd go looking at Yamaha.

Your friend should see if the dealers offer test rides. The only way to tell if you are truely comfortable on one is to ride it.

Before we bought ours (Polaris) we rode Sea-Doo and Polaris back to back and two up on each. Yamaha at that time was new to the market. Never had chance to ride a Kawasaki.
For us the Polaris was the most stable and easiest to ride. That's what we bought.

BobbyB 04-04-2007 09:30 AM

Yeah i am not a fan of the supercharged seadoos the standard gtx is a good ski though. Too many problems and seadoos dealer service from the factory sucks.

mjpcowboy 04-04-2007 09:55 AM

I have a 03 185 hp and an 05 215 hp SeaDoo no problems at all and they have been ridden a lot. Remember as in boats the higher hp you are pushing anything the more it can break so to say SeaDoo's are junk is a incorrect comment. Yamaha's probably overall more reliable however a supercharged SeaDoo will run circles around them all day long. It all depends on what you are looking for.