Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Bravo XR stuck in forward!!! >

Bravo XR stuck in forward!!!

Notices

Bravo XR stuck in forward!!!

Old 04-10-2007, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you don't need it but if you need a drive I'm getting rid of my back up xr.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by InXS
Last year one of my drives locked in forward gear. It was a new XR. Shifter at the helm worked fine. Turned out a screw backed out of the shift cam and lodged between the top gear and top cap. Before I new it, the top gear shaved about 25% of the screw and put metal shavings through out the drive.

You can see the shift cam by taking the back cap off. Was simple to correct, but had to flush the drive about 10 times to get all the metal out of the drive.

It was clearly a Merc defect.

Good luck with it and hope it's simple.
BINGO!!!

This is exactly what happened with mine! Just got back from the drive shop. I need a new pinion and top gear. Craig has some spare "stuff" lying around that's pretty fresh so hopefully I don't have to buy a whole new gear set, just the pinion. My screw came to rest on top of the top gear as well, I got very lucky. If he has the parts, I can be back in business by this weekend. Too bad I'm working...

The boat was built in 03, so all warranties are probably gone unless Merc realized their screwup and is taking care of those drives that this happened to, but I doubt it.

Last edited by UNSANE; 04-10-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by UNSANE
BINGO!!!

This is exactly what happened with mine! Just got back from the drive shop. I need a new pinion and top gear. Craig has some spare "stuff" lying around that's pretty fresh so hopefully I don't have to buy a whole new gear set, just the pinion. My screw came to rest on top of the top gear as well, I got very lucky. If he has the parts, I can be back in business by this weekend. Too bad I'm working...

The boat was built in 03, so all warranties are probably gone unless Merc realized their screwup and is taking care of those drives that this happened to, but I doubt it.
Wouldn't hurt to follow up with Merc on this. I had a '99 7.4MPI that had a cold start problem that was directly related to the ECU. I bought the boat used in the fall of 2002 and in the spring of 2003, working with my local Merc tech, Merc shipped us a brand new ECU at no cost. They knew it was their bad. Worst they can say is tough luck.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about additional problems. Just got in last night and started going over my messages. You are really haveing some bad luck. Hope they can get you back up and running soon. As always, if I can help give ma call or Email me.

Thanks,
Dail
Old 04-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad its an easy fix(so-to-speak) looks I am going to have to bring my drive over and have him go thru it, I think I have some bad seals so it should be a quick fix also. I'll pressure test it tomorrow to make sure. Sorry I couldnt get up with you the other day, but things came up with work and my dad so I've been doing the I-95 tour the past couple of days between here and Daytona.

Talk to ya soon,

Trent
Old 04-13-2007, 04:22 AM
Registered

Got boat back yesterday and splashed it in E. Toho for a bit. Didn't like the P5 prop, will try some fine tuning to the prop. Craig was able to pillage another outdrive for a gear since I didn't need a whole set, saved me about 1200 in the process.

PS: when you're there, ask him about the Skater that came from the same place ours did