Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Bravo XR stuck in forward!!! >

Bravo XR stuck in forward!!!

Notices

Bravo XR stuck in forward!!!

Old 04-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Bravo XR stuck in forward!!!

Discovered this while beaching the boat! Good thing I be a strong Mo-Fo....Had to muscle the boat back into the water with a stiff wind. Was able to get it back on the trailer ok too. The shifter moves and all the linkage on the topside is moving as well. The motor and drive were off the boat recently so I'm thinking something was missed or not tightened down rather than severely broken (crossing fingers). Going back out to the driveway to get a closer look if I can. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Gregg

407 325 5756
Old 04-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

your upper gears are locked together. This can be fixed pretty easiley if you open the top of the drive. It does have to be removed.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Registered

cone clutch?
Old 04-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure that you engaged the shift linkage when the drive was put back on. I had a similar problem once when I put the drive back on, can't remember for sure if it was forward or reverse, but I jammed the linkage back into the drive. The linkage can be pulled back out with a pair of long nose pliers after the drive is pulled and re-installed correctly. Also check the shift cable from the topside linkage to the drive. If the cable scuffs the coupler, it will fail down there.

Rene
Old 04-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your clutch pack on the cone is stuck, get ready for paying someone to rebuild it.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Registered

Man I hope a rebuild is not the case. I hope it's something simple since the cable does pull out when going into forward. I was told that the outdrive had 0 hours on it when I bought the boat and I'm the type never to floor it when planing out. This is a big bummer since this was the first outing since early August because of the other issues. But just in case....I was told of an outdrive guy down here in St. Cloud that deals with a lot of the race boats. Does anyone have that info?
Old 04-07-2007, 11:10 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

As stated, the drive may have been installed with the linkage mis-aligned....otherwise, the gears are probably stuck in the cone clutch
Old 04-07-2007, 11:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UNSANE
Man I hope a rebuild is not the case. I hope it's something simple since the cable does pull out when going into forward. I was told that the outdrive had 0 hours on it when I bought the boat and I'm the type never to floor it when planing out. This is a big bummer since this was the first outing since early August because of the other issues. But just in case....I was told of an outdrive guy down here in St. Cloud that deals with a lot of the race boats. Does anyone have that info?
Craig colabella
Colabella Performance inc
ph 407-498-0094
cell 407-873-0909

I've never personally used him, but I've heard nothing but good things about him.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never had a clutch sieze into the gear, but it seems that you would have a significantly different feel on the shifter if it was stuck. The cam that does the shifting would be stuck in one position and wouldn't let the cable move freely. If reverse was working fine when you left the ramp, then the install is probably fine and it may be just the cable. The cone clutch siezing would mean a new set of upper gears at a minimum. Changing the cable can be a real pain too, but at least it's cheaper. Good luck,

Rene
Old 04-07-2007, 11:56 PM
Registered

Quick thought...is the drive turning clock wise or counter? I think it makes a difference if its the clutch cone.. could be wrong though.

Quick Reply: Bravo XR stuck in forward!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.