Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Purchasing Seadoo,,Yea I know (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/15546-purchasing-seadoo-yea-i-know.html)

BAJA WILL 12-26-2001 05:23 PM

Purchasing Seadoo,,Yea I know

I know how much we all hate them, however my 1994 you can hear the bearings in the motor tumbling around so I am upgrading before she blows, Thinking of a 1997-2000 Seadoo XP, the yellow fast one I have been told they do about 65-68mph. Any experience with this model would be appreciated, :p

Will

Towel Boy 12-26-2001 05:27 PM

there are only two kinds of seadoo Rotax engines, ones that will blow up and ones that are blown, I would go to Kawa or Yama before considering a weedoo!!

my 2 cents

thisistank 12-26-2001 05:27 PM

I dont know why everyone hates ski's so much. I dont have one but theres nothing like hitting 10-15 foot waves on a waverunner/seadoo. I wouldnt want one for the lakes but in the ocean with some big surf they are the sh!t!!
Just thought I'd share that with ya! :D

US1 Fountain 12-26-2001 05:39 PM

Thats funny, I've owned 3 SeaDoo XP's with never a problem. Wouldn't own one of those other brands myself. Why be last when you can be 1st? ;)

Red Stripe 12-26-2001 05:55 PM

Thats funny, everone of my friends that have had the Seadoo's have had numerous problems with them. In fact, the only brand that they have not had a problem with is Polaris. None of them have owned a Tigershark though so I can say how they would be.
Good luck on your purchase!

Sydwayz 12-26-2001 06:01 PM

Will,
I have had a LOT of expereince with skiis. I used to race IJSBA Region 8. I have news for everyone... they ALL blow engines. I think I have ridden just about every model 2 seater that has been made since 1996. Advice(s):

1. Definately buy a Yamaha or Sea-Doo. Polaris and Kawasaki make great skiis, but they are not the market leaders. Because of this one of these two will be the next to leave the PWC market, (just like Arctic Cat/Tigershark). Also, because they are not the M/L, there are less aftermarket parts available.

2. DON'T BUY USED!!! If you want to ride whenever, keep it at the lake, and have it be reliable; you have to buy new. Otherwise you are just losing time on when it will blow the engine. I guarantee they all will. If you buy used, you do not know how much life was taken out of that motor on those previous hours. All water vehicles have a lot tougher time showing their abuse/hour, than automobiles show abuse/mile.

3. Sales were in the toilet this year. ALL the dealers have left over models; some a few years old. You can swing GREAT deals on these at this time of year. Late fall is the best time to buy, but this is the second best time to buy. They all come with the original factory warranty, even if they are leftovers.

4. The Sea-Doo XPs are some of the most popular selling skiis of all time. There are a lot of them out there. I do like them, but prefer the stability of a Yamaha, even though the riding ergonomics are more comforable on a Sea-Doo. The big dogs of the market and racing are now high-performance 3 seaters. Specialty shops can now squeeze over 200HP out of relatively stock engine setups. I would go with a three-seater of the 'big-dog' variety, and have a blast.

If you need anymore advice, please let me know. Most of the PWC magazines will have a buyers guide coming out soon, if not already.

Brian

BAJA WILL 12-26-2001 06:41 PM

I didn't think of a new one that may be a year or two out. I think the hp and performance is the same from 1998 until now, just diff grfx. :rolleyes:

Ted G 12-26-2001 07:22 PM

If you can save big bucks by buying used-here is another option. SBT has reman engines for 899-if you get a tired one cheap, pop the motor out(a whole lot easier than a big block), send it to them and put in a fresh one, add a new wear ring in the pump and freshen the impeller if necessary and voila-better than new. Sea Doo is the only way to go-we got 3 with many hours and little maintenance and they keep going strong.

Sunsation 32 12-26-2001 08:58 PM

I too have raced IJSBA and have owned about eight Sea Doo's and one Yamaha. I own a 97 Sea Doo GTX with the 110hp right now. I like the 110hp carb motor the best. They seem to be more reliable for me. Plus you can take a 110 and add a set of NOVI carbs and dry out the exhaust and a three seater will run about 63 to 64 on stalker radar gun. It will run 57 to 58 with stock carbs. The 130hp is a good motor but Ive seen several motors on the bench that have leaned out and seized. I have heard its because the exhaust and intake are on the same side of the block and the exhaust draws the fuel/oil charge out before it has time to fully burn thus causing the motor to puke.
If you want to go really fast, buy one of those 1200 Yamahas and call Riva Yamaha. They have their race boats running in the low 70's.
These are just my opinions. I love my Sea Doo for those early morning, glassy lake, need to get over a hangover ride.

Sunsation 32 12-26-2001 09:03 PM

Also, dont believe anyone when they start telling you how fast there PWC is until you see it run on radar. PWC speeds are exagerated everywhere.