Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Towing overwidth (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/155599-towing-overwidth.html)

27daytona 04-09-2007 09:34 PM

Towing overwidth

I'm planning a trip to Loto in June from Northern cal. Should I go through the hassle of pulling overwidth permits for each state or risk it? I did get nailed in Cal. so now have a overwidth permit for California. Thanks for any imput. Doug

GeoGraphics 04-09-2007 09:47 PM

The only thing with running permits is you cannot run at night and have to hit all weigh scales.
I have run many times without permits and have been lucky.
I am not much help here but to say if you don't like driving at night, then run permits. It takes a while to get them too, doesn't it? You may not have enough time to get them. That has been my issue in the past, just not able to get them when I need to get haulin' down the road.

Basically, what I am saying is it's a 50/50 shot.

My .02

Thanx

stageharbor 04-09-2007 09:49 PM

How far over width? If you are going to get permits your bet bet would be to hire a permitting company?

Excalibur Dude 04-09-2007 09:54 PM

Educate me, what is the overwidth point ? how did you get caught? My understanding from when I was buying dual axil flat trailer the wheels can't be wider apart than 8.5 feet. Now my boats width is 9.5 feetish, so the trailer wheels width less or at the legal limit I think, so probably no one would notice is what I was told, so far so good.

27daytona 04-09-2007 10:03 PM

I had a Cal. permit in about 3 days, which is amazing considering this is the land of laws. Overwidth is overwidth, but to answer the question of how much. Legal is 102" and I'm at just under 10'. A foot and a half is pretty obvious if a trooper gets behind me. That's what a trooper told me as I was being written up. A 35 foot cat on a 44' trailer can attract a lot of attention was the other comment that the trooper made. I should have stuck to 20' boats, life was much simpler and cheaper. Thanks Doug

WARPARTY36 04-09-2007 10:05 PM

Anything over 102" is overwidth. I run signs and permits during the day, and remove the signs to run at night. I have not stopped at any scale house. I have been extremely lucky not to get stopped yet, but I am sure it is a matter of time:( It is totally your call to permit and follow the rules or not.

Panic Button 04-10-2007 12:01 AM

I got stopped last summer in Vegas and asked for my permit. I was under the width and weight. They measured the width and weighed the trailer to make sure I wasn't over the max tow weight for the truck. Trailer/boat came in at 8'3" and weighed 12,300#. They hassled me about being over weight for the truck until I showed that the F350 had a 15k# tow weight. NV is cracking down on the guys towing 7000# boats with S10's...

MarkSmith 04-10-2007 12:52 AM

I would do what warparty says, banner and flags during the day and remove at night.

To me, your boat is not an issue under 10 ft. I tow 12' on a 50' trailer and tow mostly without a permit. On long trips I get the permits.

racesdad 04-10-2007 01:59 AM

comdata thgeyw ill do the permits for you. tell them private carrier, and you dont have to stop a wiegh stations, just keep rolling. you will have to stop at night. but i have gotten by driving at night and mine is 10'6"

racesdad 04-10-2007 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Panic Button (Post 2087687)
I got stopped last summer in Vegas and asked for my permit. I was under the width and weight. They measured the width and weighed the trailer to make sure I wasn't over the max tow weight for the truck. Trailer/boat came in at 8'3" and weighed 12,300#. They hassled me about being over weight for the truck until I showed that the F350 had a 15k# tow weight. NV is cracking down on the guys towing 7000# boats with S10's...

new mexico is a pain in the arse too. they stopped me ran everything held me for 2 hours, found out i was legal. then told me i could nt move my boat till day light