Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   One switch for Trim/trailer odd? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/155666-one-switch-trim-trailer-odd.html)

Sick Stinger 04-10-2007 08:58 PM

One switch for Trim/trailer odd?

I have only 1 switch for my trim trailer i just replaced the Sending unit and also the trim limiter switches. The trim indicater wrks like a dream perfect, But the limiter doesnt work at all and slo like i said i only have one switch to do the triming and the trailer lift. Should i have 2 or is one the norm on some boats. Its a 93 Thoughroughbred velocity 26 summer squall if that matters. Leg is a bravo

Griff 04-10-2007 10:24 PM

The trim limiter sender is adjustable by rotating it. Do you have separate switches for trim and trailer???

Iggy 04-11-2007 04:38 AM

My '88 Formula came that way, only one switch for trim and trailer positions. No problem I just keep an eye on where I'm positioning it.
Actually the hinge pins for the bell housing are worn and the trim gagae doesn't register because of excess play. I just tuck it all the way in for starting off then trim for best handling at speed.

BadDog 04-11-2007 04:59 AM

OMC Cobra setup had only one trim switch with no trailer button. Not really a problem. If you try to run it up too high the prop would just slip.

Sick Stinger 04-11-2007 07:42 AM

Thanks guys i dont have a seprate switch griff just one. i know that the sender is adjustable it just doesnt cut out the leg trimming i dont understand how it would but the gauge works now so i will just use that

Iggy 04-11-2007 08:24 AM

The limit sensor is on the port side of the drive. I have one too even though it isn't connected to anything.

If the limit sensor was working it would cut current to trim pump at a preset position. The trailer switch, if you had one, is just an override that bypasses the limit sensor.

Dave M 04-11-2007 10:50 AM

I don't have a "trailer" button. My trim switch operates the OD the full up or down range. Works for me.

I have mechanical indicators too. That's two less (sender, and limiter) things I have to deal with.

Sick Stinger 04-11-2007 12:28 PM

I actually on have a trailer rocker switch no trim the trailer does the trim also. I know what the trim limiter is supposed to do but i dont know how it work like how does it cut it out and how to set it. It is connected to the trim pump just never cuts it out i try to adjust it but never worked

Iggy 04-11-2007 01:23 PM

The limit sensor has an internal rotating switch to cut current.
The amount of travel before cutoff......I don't recall. I can find out.
What you do is, you set the drive to what the cutoff point should be then loosen the two screws that hold the limit switch on and rotate the switch till you have movement or movement stops. Keep moving the sensor and checking where it stops. Trial and error. It'll take two people to do it though.

Just thinking....
The limit switch may not be working because of the trailer switch.
Remember, that is an override. The previous owner may have had a trim switch and removed it prior to selling. Or it broke and never replaced. Trace the wires to see where they go. Maybe there are two disconnected someplace.

Sick Stinger 04-12-2007 02:12 PM

Thanks iggy i just ordered a trim throttle switch from Trick along with the trim tan Joy Stick set up seeing as its mine now might as well make it my own with a few customes touches and idea thanks all. Iggy also i did try to turh the limiter switch and have the leg being brough up never cut out. I looked for a few wired but i only found the gauge wires off re conneceted those works mint but still doesnt cut out. As long as i have the gauge im good though. Cant wait to t\drop it back in thanks everyone.....
Mike