Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Is Fountain doing a speed run in May? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/155701-fountain-doing-speed-run-may.html)

Wally 04-11-2007 10:34 AM

Is Fountain doing a speed run in May?

Buddy just called me and wanted to know when fountains doing their speed run for the record.....i told him i wasnt aware there was anythig going on. Doing a quick scan i dont see anything mentioned here either.....he said someone told him its supposed to be in FL first weekend of May....anyone know anything....this guy wants to book a flight to see it happen if its going on....thanks

TeamTaboo 04-11-2007 10:54 AM

The boat is being sold so no speed run. On the 16th of April there is a Vee bottom test by one of the Magazine's in Sarasota that is all that's happening I know of.

Bullhead 04-11-2007 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by TeamTaboo (Post 2089246)
The boat is being sold so no speed run. On the 16th of April there is a Vee bottom test by one of the Magazine's in Sarasota that is all that's happening I know of.

They are selling the "Cat Killer"?!!! Say it ain't so....is it gonna be used for racing or poker runs?

oreo11zeus 04-11-2007 03:40 PM

Who the heck cares - What's next t-53 Turbines in it. How about a real ocean run like our forefather "Don" did to the keys.
That fountain hull would be full of cracks if it did it. Has anyone seen an old Fountain?

LostinBoston 04-11-2007 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by oreo11zeus (Post 2089567)
Who the heck cares - What's next t-53 Turbines in it. How about a real ocean run like our forefather "Don" did to the keys.
That fountain hull would be full of cracks if it did it. Has anyone seen an old Fountain?

Their "adiabatic engines" supposedly had 3100 lbs of torque. Thats a hell of a lot more then a t53, and about 1.5x as much torque as a freakin T-55.

oreo11zeus 04-11-2007 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by LostinBoston (Post 2089645)
Their "adiabatic engines" supposedly had 3100 lbs of torque. Thats a hell of a lot more then a t53, and about 1.5x as much torque as a freakin T-55.

LnB,

You are a smart man - read up about the paper cup
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=78116&page=1

Brad Zastrow 04-11-2007 05:40 PM

Isn't this the engine that claims the harder you run it the cooler it gets? That seems to defy my limited knowledge of engines. Did they ever get them to run in the Fountian?

Downtown42 04-11-2007 09:12 PM

you're funny. :bunny:

I did see an older Cig at the poker run last year blow a hole in the hull, had to hit it hard back to the lift so she wouldn't sink. :rolleyes:

what else don't you know?

OL40SVX 04-11-2007 09:44 PM

Yes, we have owned an old Fountain, a 1988 by the way, and it had held together alot better than some of the newer Fountains. The older ones I think were built very well.

Bullhead 04-12-2007 11:59 AM

I guess the folks at Cigarette cared or they wouldn't have "tried" to break the record themselves....and I don't think they were utilizing 525's on their attempt....to me the R&D that Fountain put into the project was a positive for the entire industry....obviously Fountain gained the most out of it and rightfully so