Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
It's Gonna Be A Long Year Guys!!! >

It's Gonna Be A Long Year Guys!!!

Notices

It's Gonna Be A Long Year Guys!!!

Old 07-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have officially thrown in the towel.... After countless hours of deliberation I have come to the realization that I cannot possibly complete my project without spending ALOT more money than my boat will ultimately be worth. I have decided to scrap the project and wait until next year when I can hopefully afford another boat. My major problem with my Baja is I have had to move it to my aunts house due to bullsh!t "Condo bylaws" and it is now 30 minutes away. Another factor is I simply do not have anyone to help me work on it. I realized there is no possible way for me to get this boat back together by myself & so far away. So now I have a gutted 1994 Baja Outlaw hull, locked up 454 mag engine, and a 1994 Bravo 1 outdrive for sale.....any takers???? I am really depressed with my sudden reality check and I am not going to be happy until I am back out on the water doing what I love most. Until next year I guess I will sit and watch all of you lucky guys roaring past as I sit on the dock with a cold beer.

My title is still good I guess because it says "It's gonna be a long year" but now it's going to be a long year with nothing to do........

Chuck
Old 07-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Registered

I'm really sorry for what you're going through and have gone through.

Totally sucks. Maybe someone in your area can get you a boat ride every now and then.

Good luck!
Old 07-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Registered

Thanks bro.....
There is a guy that just moved in a few houses away with a 29' Velocity
Gonna have to go see what he's all about.

Originally Posted by rastinger
I'm really sorry for what you're going through and have gone through.

Totally sucks. Maybe someone in your area can get you a boat ride every now and then.

Good luck!

Last edited by CAPTAIN CHUCK; 07-11-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:25 PM
JnT
Registered

Put it on ebay. Do a few more hitches and save a few bucks for another boat.
Or leave the boat in storage until the right engine comes up at the right price. Watch for non performance hulls with solid power to come up for sale locally. Buy the boat,use the parts you need and sell the leftovers.
I bought a boat from Texas when I lived in Louisiana and I'm shooting for 7500.00 max into the boat. Its taken 2 years of shopping good deals and wheeling and dealing with the shop to wait for when they are slow to do any work for a reduced rate.
Its not done yet but I have a small fishboat we use and have made friends with a couple of guys that take my wife and I out from time to time on performance boats.
We offer to help with gas, clean,wash,wax etc.I always get turned down but manage to make it feel right to me by providing food,beer,oil for oil changes,sunglasses etc. as gifts.
There are a lot of cool boaters down your way!
On a side note which company do you work for? I worked for Tidewater,Ensco, and Seacor from 95 through 06 as a 100 ton Captain and AB Unlimited.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Registered

Thanks for your support JnT. I really wish I could keep the Baja but there is no way i could finish it anytime soon. I need to get back on the water bro...it's killing me. I already bought a 540ci bowtie motor for the Baja but now I guess it will just sit in storage and wait for a new home. On your side note, I am self employed. I am a "trip" pilot for a few different companies. I pimp myself out to the highest bidder... I have been doing alot of work for Florida Marine and Eckstein Marine. I make my own schedule and the money is much better than working permanently for one company. I have a unlimited master of towing as well as a 200 ton master. I see you were a supply boat Capt. Why did you give it up?

Take care,
Chuck
Old 07-11-2007, 08:33 PM
JnT
Registered

I wanted to spend more time at home.... But it bit me in the a$$. I had more time doing the things I wanted to do, (boat races, poker runs, hunting, fishing) when I was gone half the year than when I'm home every night.
Now its a struggle to take Sunday off to get to the lake. More money but less fun.
I'm current til 2010 with my license,documents, and STCW certificate.
I'll take another year off but will probably rejoin the workboat community. It gets in your blood and I miss it bad. Hated it while I was there but its a dam good job.
I've seen most of the chit on the Discovery Channel (boat and fish related) in person. Took a few pics to prove it !
Friends here in GA could not fathom taking a helicopter ride to work and fishing every day after my watch was over.
I get to the marina here and people are griping about the 3-5 foot wakes bouncing off the banks of the lake. They are strong 1-2s with an occasional 3 thrown in from the idiot in the Viking doing his idle zone thing.
I've seen 22+ foot seas with some real big rogues evacuating during big storms.
I'll PM ya later to pick your brain over some boat companies to apply for.
What range boat are you looking to get into ?
I'll keep an eye out around ATL.
Jim

Last edited by JnT; 07-11-2007 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Registered

You can always half-ass it back together. A bare-hull baja with a 540, a bravo drive, and a plastic deck chair at the helm would be kind of interesting. You can get back out on the water with a couple of used seats, a little bit of exterior hull work, a motor and a drive.

I don't think it's worth it to go crazy with the rebuild, you're better off financially, long term, to throw in the towel. But if the hull is sound, you can make it float and go for a lot cheaper than fixing it all the right way and making it nice. Then you might be able to get a few more $$ out of it when you're ready to move up to something else.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Registered

I went down to New Orleans to help cleanup right after the storm. This was about 5-7 days after the storm when the military moved in. We set up camp in Algiers in Berman Park, and was assigned to the Mid City/City Park/Lakeview area. Our instructions were to use heavy equipment to open up all streets in a certain grid. We opened up at least one lane on every street in the grid by pushing debris to each side of the road.

We pushed branches, and other debris out of the street with backhoes, and skid steers, and pulled cars out of the way with chains. I left all boats i found. I didn't move any. I saw several cruiser boats just sitting in the middle of Canal St, and other streets. I couldn't bring myself to shove someone's boat down an asphalt street, breaking the drives off.

All of the boats that my crews left, were moved by others that didn't care. Some of the crews were using equipment too small to push the boats and cars, so they would flip them over end over end until the street was clear. That was the worse thing I had ever wittnessed. The smell was undescribeable. Heat Index was 105,

At the time I was there, for 14 consecutive days, the only people in N.O were the military, and a few contractors. Toward the end of my 14 day stay, several homeowners were sneaking into the city to sheck on their homes. We left N.O the day before Hurricane Rita passed and missed the city. We were evacuated because they were not sure that Rita wouldn't hit N.O again.

Your boat was probably stolen by some cleanup crew. There was no one else in the city at that time, as far as I saw.

Worse part is that i was not paid all of the money i was owed!
Old 07-11-2007, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't give it up just yet!!!
I'm about to buy a basket case with only the intention of bringing her back.
I'll never be the fastest, I'm looking for a little old school class, and I'm not in a hurry.
I've been out of the water for 6 years now.
The first three years, it felt like my arms had fallen off.
The next three, it just gave me the drive to put my arms back on.
What I'm buying is going to take me two years (hopefully only that) to put back together on my budget.
If you love it, don't give it up.
It's a hobby, a labor of love. Most every hardcore performance boater I have ever met only spends 10% of thier boating time on the water running, 80%working on it, and another 10% partying with other boaters.
So, you can still spend 90% of your time boating without ever hitting the water.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by CAPTCHUCKV
I have officially thrown in the towel.... After countless hours of deliberation I have come to the realization that I cannot possibly complete my project without spending ALOT more money than my boat will ultimately be worth. I have decided to scrap the project and wait until next year when I can hopefully afford another boat. My major problem with my Baja is I have had to move it to my aunts house due to bullsh!t "Condo bylaws" and it is now 30 minutes away. Another factor is I simply do not have anyone to help me work on it. I realized there is no possible way for me to get this boat back together by myself & so far away. So now I have a gutted 1994 Baja Outlaw hull, locked up 454 mag engine, and a 1994 Bravo 1 outdrive for sale.....any takers???? I am really depressed with my sudden reality check and I am not going to be happy until I am back out on the water doing what I love most. Until next year I guess I will sit and watch all of you lucky guys roaring past as I sit on the dock with a cold beer.

My title is still good I guess because it says "It's gonna be a long year" but now it's going to be a long year with nothing to do........

Chuck
Man, your heart is in the right place................wise desicion, you will be happier in the long run and money ahead. If there is such a thing! Dave

Quick Reply: It's Gonna Be A Long Year Guys!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.