Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Do Hours really matter? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/156325-do-hours-really-matter.html)

Want Speed 04-19-2007 06:58 PM

Do Hours really matter?

I found an AWESOME Donzi 22 ZX...It is in AWESOME CONDITION, everything looks brand new, who ever had it took amazing care of it. It has a 7.4l MPI engine....The only problem i see is that it has 412 hours...but it dont show...

SO do hours really matter? How much longer untill the engine needs rebuilt? And how much would a reubild cost using all forged internals (basically making it a 7.4l MAG)...Thanks guys!

handfulz28 04-19-2007 08:11 PM

Heh...412 hrs...what year? I bought mine with 1091 hrs...all original except for scheduled maintenance (manifolds/risers/etc.). The guy took great care of it. I've put another 40hrs on the meter since I bought it 6 mos ago. There were a few things it needed that were obvious upon purchase, and another issue that wouldn't have been discovered even with a survey.
Get it looked at by a professional and see what receipts/service records show.

WeaponX 04-19-2007 09:07 PM

Only on boats.:evilb:

jeff32 04-19-2007 09:29 PM

if they show the real number of hours, it gives an idea, but you can still have a beaten engine in just...couple hours! get a mecanical inspection BEFORE.Trust me...

Johno 04-19-2007 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Want Speed (Post 2099521)
I found an AWESOME Donzi 22 ZX...It is in AWESOME CONDITION, everything looks brand new, who ever had it took amazing care of it. It has a 7.4l MPI engine....The only problem i see is that it has 412 hours...but it dont show...

SO do hours really matter? How much longer untill the engine needs rebuilt? And how much would a reubild cost using all forged internals (basically making it a 7.4l MAG)...Thanks guys!

Going by your Screen name "Want Speed"...you'll be upgrading that 7.4 to something bigger very soon. Great motor if kept in stock trim. Buy it if it's what you want ...Summer is on the way Happy boating!

ToTheMax 04-19-2007 09:52 PM

If you have all the records for servicing and maintenance etc (or a few recent ones)...that will help out, especially if it was well taken care of. The flip side of the coin is how the boat was run over the 400+ hrs.

Want Speed 04-19-2007 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johno (Post 2099745)
Going by your Screen name "Want Speed"...you'll be upgrading that 7.4 to something bigger very soon. Great motor if kept in stock trim. Buy it if it's what you want ...Summer is on the way Happy boating!

I figure it will need rebuilt after a season or two...How much is an average rebuild replacing the crank, rods, and pistons with some forged items??

Can anyone give me links to rebuild kits that include these? thanks!

flat rate 04-19-2007 10:26 PM

If it has oil pressure and sounds good go boating. Stock engines will go for a long time.

Want Speed 04-19-2007 10:39 PM

I am looking for a marine surveyor to check it out..and if it checks out its MINE...eventually maybe after this season I will rebuild the engine with forged internals, and slap a procharger on her... :)

Revd Up 04-19-2007 10:55 PM

My old boat looked like new with about 450 hrs. Always kept indoors, and very well maintained. The only thing that was starting to wear out was the swivel shaft on the gimble ring. Check the drive for side to side play. The guy who bought it couldn't believe it was so clean.