Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Couple of 250 B&M Blower ?'s (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/156609-couple-250-b-m-blower-s.html)

Sick Stinger 04-23-2007 07:37 PM

Couple of 250 B&M Blower ?'s

I have a 250 B&M Blower atop a 509. Couple questions, one stock pulley what should the boost be? Im running about 3.5 4 psi i believe. 2. Should i run a smaller pulley? is it worth it and would it pose any interanal problems. 3. I see that there is a vent in the front of the blower snout, its pushing out oil? anyway to stop this and what causes it? Thanks all for the input and thanks to everyone with the help on the carbs it rain pissa sunday, ran a 79.2 on the gps with no air grates to force the air in the engine bay hopefully with those and a little more tuning ill break mid 80's and be happy there
Mike

The Menace 04-23-2007 08:08 PM

Historically that particular blower's bearings are a little undersized and should be replaced. Since the bearings are small they tend to wear out quickly. When they do the rotors will start to bang together and the shavings will erode your rings etc. A rebuild alone may significantly improve your performance. New teflon strips will pack more air.

Sick Stinger 04-24-2007 06:14 AM

Thanks menace looks like ill be talking to the blower shop.
- Mike

fstboater 04-24-2007 08:04 PM

The plugs in the top oil fill have a hole in them replace the plug with a unvented one. What size pulley is on the blower the smaller spins it faster and the more heet it builds so more boost doesen't always make more power.

Sick Stinger 04-24-2007 09:03 PM

FS its the stock blower pulley, true about the pulley didnt think of it that way about makeing the more heat so ill have to keep that in mind. So i should just get a new venting plug because mine is clogged?? is that what you mean

Liquid Liability 04-25-2007 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by The Menace (Post 2103702)
Historically that particular blower's bearings are a little undersized and should be replaced. Since the bearings are small they tend to wear out quickly. When they do the rotors will start to bang together and the shavings will erode your rings etc. A rebuild alone may significantly improve your performance. New teflon strips will pack more air.

DITTO
I melted mine down in '04, sent it to the Blower Shop for the rebuild. The only thing original on it now is the case! :D

Sick Stinger 04-25-2007 10:52 AM

Thanks Liquide i will have to hit the blower shop up. do they have a heavy duty bearing for that or heavy duty setup?
Mike

Anarchy Powerboats 04-25-2007 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sick Stinger (Post 2103664)
I have a 250 B&M Blower atop a 509. Couple questions, one stock pulley what should the boost be? Im running about 3.5 4 psi i believe. 2. Should i run a smaller pulley? is it worth it and would it pose any interanal problems. 3. I see that there is a vent in the front of the blower snout, its pushing out oil? anyway to stop this and what causes it? Thanks all for the input and thanks to everyone with the help on the carbs it rain pissa sunday, ran a 79.2 on the gps with no air grates to force the air in the engine bay hopefully with those and a little more tuning ill break mid 80's and be happy there
Mike

:drink:

Sick Stinger 04-25-2007 02:30 PM

So metal i will see internal problems? danm

rdoactive 04-25-2007 03:43 PM

1) There really isn't a "stock" pulley. You change the blower pulley to change boost. Smaller = more boost.
2) The amount of boost you can run depends on how the engine was built, compression, cam, heads, ignition advance etc. and the octane rating of the fuel. If you dont know about this stuff, dont screw around with it. You could melt a piston.
3) There is a vent/plug. If it's pushing oil out, your blower seals may be going bad pushing gas/air into the front lube reservoir. I would suck out all the gear lube in the resroirs (probably contaminated with gas) and replace with new gear lube. Then watch and see if it starts overfilling quickly.