Like Tree0Likes

calling all south florida resident experts!

Old 04-25-2007, 07:06 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1980 Donzi Criterion 22

there is NO dockage, contrary to the Govt website, trust me on this... as long as you have a rowable or powered paddleboat you can go right up to the sandspit beach right across the channel from the anchorage, I think there is some pic's of our trip on the Donzi site and you can see my Scarab and another Donzi CC anchored by the beach, and the anchorage area directly in front of that. As soon as you beach, go directly to the main dock and out on the pier on the right front of the building by the little office window is a discrete little black box, grab an envelope and insert required visitor funds accordingly, trust me again, the Ranger watches for this, cash only, no tokens... neato to visit or stay one night but I wouldn't go again just to visit.... the walk yourself tour is very, very interesting in itself though... there are makeshift toilets, actually outhouses, but they are locked while the tourboats are docked, if you need to pee you MUST use these tour boats for your deposits..
Old 04-25-2007, 07:18 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
there is NO dockage, contrary to the Govt website, trust me on this... as long as you have a rowable or powered paddleboat you can go right up to the sandspit beach right across the channel from the anchorage, I think there is some pic's of our trip on the Donzi site and you can see my Scarab and another Donzi CC anchored by the beach, and the anchorage area directly in front of that. As soon as you beach, go directly to the main dock and out on the pier on the right front of the building by the little office window is a discrete little black box, grab an envelope and insert required visitor funds accordingly, trust me again, the Ranger watches for this, cash only, no tokens... neato to visit or stay one night but I wouldn't go again just to visit.... the walk yourself tour is very, very interesting in itself though... there are makeshift toilets, actually outhouses, but they are locked while the tourboats are docked, if you need to pee you MUST use these tour boats for your deposits..
The web site was right at one time. There was a dock there, we docked a 60 ft boat there but it's been several yrs. ago. If you dive don't take any lobsters it is against the law in the park.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:27 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1980 Donzi Criterion 22

there's a dock there alright, just no dockage... tour boats own the dock, Ranger absolutely wouldn't allow transients to use it, even after the tour boats left... when I questioned her on this, and asked her about the conflict with the website dockage info, she told me if I didn't like it to get back in my boat, and leave the island immediately... she wears a gun too, and damm proud of it...
Old 04-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
there's a dock there alright, just no dockage... tour boats own the dock, Ranger absolutely wouldn't allow transients to use it, even after the tour boats left... when I questioned her on this, and asked her about the conflict with the website dockage info, she told me if I didn't like it to get back in my boat, and leave the island immediately... she wears a gun too, and damm proud of it...

So did you let her cuff ya Jimbo?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1974 35 Cigarette BENIHANA, 1976 24 Banana Boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesmanship View Post
Are you going to the Tortugas before KW? Otherwise it's a 140mile out of your way pit stop.
Back in the day....this was just part of the race course for the Key West race.....we would run out to a checkpoint off Dry Tortugas from Key West and then come back and do a couple of laps in and out of the harbor and then out and run to the north and back to the finish line. Usually about 210 miles total.

Water was always something that you remembered the rest of the year.
Attached Thumbnails
calling all south florida resident experts!-bertram0002-small-.jpg  
Old 04-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Registered

My Boats: Donzi Criterion SS, X-18 , 16 OB, Z-235, F-14, Magnum Missile

He destroyed our cameras first though damnit....

Fishing in the area is awesome.. Excellent grouper fishing, and the strait between there and KW has been pretty thick with Tuna and Dolphin lately.. If you want some more lowdown on it, Rob Hammer is a guide who specializes in the Tortugas. There is nobody more knowledgable about the area.. Give him a buzz , tell him Scott from Blanchard suggested you give him a buzz.. He can fill ya in on the diving also..

robhammer_at_invincibleboats.com (at ='s @)

Phone: 305-321-1473
Old 04-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2001 Cigarette, Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
Back in the day....this was just part of the race course for the Key West race.....we would run out to a checkpoint off Dry Tortugas from Key West and then come back and do a couple of laps in and out of the harbor and then out and run to the north and back to the finish line. Usually about 210 miles total.

Water was always something that you remembered the rest of the year.
good looking airpl... uhh, Bertram!
Old 04-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2001 Cigarette, Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
He destroyed our cameras first though damnit....

Fishing in the area is awesome.. Excellent grouper fishing, and the strait between there and KW has been pretty thick with Tuna and Dolphin lately.. If you want some more lowdown on it, Rob Hammer is a guide who specializes in the Tortugas. There is nobody more knowledgable about the area.. Give him a buzz , tell him Scott from Blanchard suggested you give him a buzz.. He can fill ya in on the diving also..

robhammer_at_invincibleboats.com (at ='s @)

Phone: 305-321-1473
Thanks for the help! I don't get down there much and want to make the most out of it...
Old 04-26-2007, 07:53 AM
Registered

My Boats: 27 monza, eggbeaters, no seats

bring lots of mosquito repellant!! the wind has been 10-15 everyday,which helps,but the no see-ums will eat you alive
Old 04-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Registered

My Boats: Baja 38 Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesmanship View Post
Good plan.
I have a group going for the Mem. Day weekend.
One of the guys at our shop is heading down there with a group of Boy Scouts to camp over that weekend I beleive they will be in a 48 ft Searay and a couple Viking type boats. I am sure they would love it if your group does a fly by.