Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Anybody seen the new Fountain? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/156884-anybody-seen-new-fountain.html)

Stormrider 04-28-2007 01:22 PM

i wouldn't be out in the canyon in that fountain. unless you've got a dead calm day... but then you could cut you time by 1/2 again by running a CC cat w/ ob's cruising at 75.
All you fishing guys, could you see trolling at 5knts in 10ft seas in that fountain?
In true big seas, you wont be running 45kts anyways.

Panther 04-28-2007 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Stormrider (Post 2109355)
i wouldn't be out in the canyon in that fountain. unless you've got a dead calm day... but then you could cut you time by 1/2 again by running a CC cat w/ ob's cruising at 75.
All you fishing guys, could you see trolling at 5knts in 10ft seas in that fountain?
In true big seas, you wont be running 45kts anyways.

Especially if you're going out to the Canyon for an overnight Shark or Tuna trip... conditions change rapidly.... A boat that big, I'd get a Viking, Buddy, Golden Egg.......

Scott B 04-28-2007 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by monstaaa (Post 2109244)
i also have never seen a donzi fisher cruisin around. not to say its not out there , just not popular.

We don't allow them north of the Mason Dixon line :) :)

kennorth 04-28-2007 06:58 PM

What kind of power and speed does she have.

LostinBoston 04-28-2007 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by spk1 (Post 2108250)
http://www.buddydavis.com/58sport_overview.php

lets not forget these guys. :drink: 40 knots in a 58' fully loaded sport fish convertable. :eek: :eek: whats the weight on that thing again? :eek:

Ive run a 65' enclosed bridge Viking at 42 kts. weight? oh about 115,000 lbs. and that was 4 years ago, before the 2400 hp MTU 16V2000's. Its also pretty unaffected by anything under 8ft.

monstaaa 04-29-2007 07:48 AM

viking is the one of the finest fishing machines out there. i would bet that fountain is not going for that market but more toward rampage and the sort.

in any event they are again setting forth on new ground which could only expand their knowledge of the marine enviroment.

DJD 04-30-2007 08:29 AM

WOW! A Palm Beach helm! I guess Reggie did do some research & opted away from the usual controlls. Way to go!
As much as I like that, I am sceptical. I won't cast judgement though. I'll wait to see it come by my 50' Bertram when we're out in the canyons on a snotty day & I'll report back to you.

Shore Thing 04-30-2007 08:40 AM

I don't think anyone is calling this boat a piece of sh$t. Its just not an equal comparison to the big boys of true offshore sport fishing. This boat would probably rock as a fishing boat here in the chesapeake. I guess it just depends on how they end up marketing it. If they're going after the hardcore big offshore sportfish market, they're going to miss. But there are a lot of people out there that would like a capable fisher with performance and crusing amenities. This could fill that void well. Like i said, hopefully they market it to the right crowd and don't try to make it something its not. (if i'm wrong, i hope they prove me wrong.)

animalhouse 04-30-2007 09:10 AM

The donzi you guys are reffering to is a completely different company. They are made by a guy named Bob Rosciolli, not the Donzi everybody is accustomed to.

I am not knocking the boat, but I would like to see numbers. I have seen many guys try to break into the canyon market, and fail because at least up here in the northeast you have to run at least 250 miles round trip, and be able to stay out for at least two nights off shore, from those pictures, the beam seems to be a real issue with trolling comfort, but may be an asset in cruising through the bis seas.

If that boat tests well with locals who fish everyday, and they can punch through Oregon Inlet with little no problem, then they are heading in the right direction.

animalhouse 04-30-2007 09:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I am basing my opinion on, our previous boat. Cruised at 36 knots and topped out at 41.6 on GPS. Not bad for a heavy sled.