Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Taking delivery Thursday AM . Need check out assistance (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/157219-taking-delivery-thursday-am-need-check-out-assistance.html)

SANLEONKID 05-01-2007 05:29 PM

Taking delivery Thursday AM . Need check out assistance

OK, I am picking up the Scarab on Thursday and heading out for sea trial. Boat in immaculate shape and survey came back clean for mechanical / electrical and on water. Stated speed per GPS 76mph. When I go out I figure I need to check out a few things for myself as noted below but are there others that I should be concerned about that woudl be an issue. The boat only has 67 hours on it and was maintained year round.

Ease of engine starting
Any leaks (water or fliuds)
Hydraukic steering working
Trim tabs working
Engine hatch actuator working
Outdrive operating w/o grinding
Listen for gimbal bearing noise
Blowers operational
Guages all showing appriopriate levels
Ease of shifting - both drives and throttle
Drive / Tab position indicators

It has Q&Q exhaust - never had before - what should I look for here

jryan26 05-01-2007 05:52 PM

You should go guy a case of beer, and call tomtbone...And get a 6pk for yourself. :D

US1 Fountain 05-01-2007 05:55 PM

All those in your list I'd think were covered in the mechanical survey. Enjoy it!

SANLEONKID 05-01-2007 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain (Post 2112744)
All those in your list I'd think were covered in the mechanical survey. Enjoy it!

The survey stated that the additional equipment was there (especially the tabs, indicators, hatch actuator, exhaust, ) not that they were working. Woudl these items have to have had a note if they were not functional.

I woudl rathere be sure MYSELF before I write the rest of the check rather than d**k with them after the sale.

SANLEONKID 05-01-2007 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by jryan26 (Post 2112742)
You should go guy a case of beer, and call tomtbone...And get a 6pk for yourself. :D

I envited a buddy (Jeff R) of his down on the 12th for a real shakedown cruise up the ship channel but he is taking off to mexico that week.

Sydwayz 05-01-2007 08:13 PM

See if you can track down "CHUCKBEECHER" (Chuck) or "crb76" (Clark) here on OSO. Chuck is Clark's father, and they both know boats well. They are both in Houston. "Joe" here on OSO is also a Houston member with a new Cigarette, and he knows his way around too.

tanner 05-01-2007 09:23 PM

Go to an auto parts store and for 50 bucks buy an infra red tempature guage. You can shoot the laser on the engines, drives, headers etc... If you have a big tempature difference between the 2 pieces you are shooting, you will know there is a problem. You cant see inside ,so after you run the boat hard for awhile , shut it down, and shoot the top of both drives, if one is hot you know that a bearing or gear may not be in good condition.