Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What to do? 525 way to much for new boat. >

What to do? 525 way to much for new boat.

Notices

What to do? 525 way to much for new boat.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:07 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

keep it, and i agree w/ sydwayz.
i think you'd be lucky to swap out even for a new 496.

btw, get tabs and full hydro steering.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Does the boat have hydraulic steering?
What kind of tabs does it currently have? Bennett? 280 K-Planes?
Old 05-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Does the boat have hydraulic steering?
What kind of tabs does it currently have? Bennett? 280 K-Planes?
No on the steering, and it does not have tabs. But its pretty obvious that would most likely cure the boats problem...BBY
Old 05-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
BIG DIFFERENCE HERE.

I retract my offer to swap.

You have a 525SC which is a 454 with a blower on top.

Mercury Racing currently makes a 525EFI which is a Fuel Injected 502 that makes better than 535 horsepower without a blower. I think most folks thought you had a 525EFI.

Just pull the blower off of they 525SC. Keep it in the garage for when you want to sell or go faster. You will need a mechanic to retune carb and you will need to re-prop. I don't know what octane fuel you will need.
Sorry for any confusion. It is indeed a 525SC (454 with blower)
Old 05-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Registered

Bottom line it seems add tabs and hydraulic steering and It should be good to go. Really glad I signed up here today. You guys are alot of help and it is very much appreciated...BBY
Old 05-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Registered

BBY

I'm kinda in the same area as you. This is a pay now or pay later. Do this, take the time to read this site, all of the forums, I spend at least 2 hours a day reading on the board. This might sound funny, but make sure you watch the Fountain instructional video it helped me understand some things along with reading on this board about propper tabs, prop sizing, and height. Everyone here is right, in a year you will want the big motor and in two years, you're gonna sell it and want a bigger boat with even bigger motors.

I would keep the motor and learn how to drive the boat. But take your time learning, just because you have the whole cake in front of you doesn't mean you have to eat the whole thing. Experiment with all the settings to have it balance out, and it will take time. The advantage you have is, once you gain the experience, you will already have the power to enjoy it.

http://www.powerboatsonly.com/forums...d.php?t=137127
Old 05-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Really try trimming past the chine walk. If it started to porpoise I increased throttle a bit or decreased trim a very small amount. Take you time getting used to boat and don't make sudden changes. Your boat will become a dream come true with that motor. Just use caution and be careful.

I have a pair of 525SC motors in my 35'. Stock, the motors require 91 octane as per Mercury HP. I would not be surprised if that is on the high side of what the motors really need. In stock form, you should be seeing about 5 PSI boost at WOT.

I have run 89 octane in a pich...to be ultra safe I throttled back to the point where you can feel the secondaries in the throttle lever...keeping the boost a minimum.

Originally Posted by BlueByYou2000
It it the identical boat. 89 Velocity 23 footer (really 22). The guy It came from has dumped huge money into it. $3,000 gimble, some add on for the Bravo 1 (hp2 or something like that) gaffrig, brand new interior, color update by fountain of youth, $4500 stereo system...and the list is just endless. Not sure you could really do any more to it besides tabs. How much will the tabs slow the boat down, and also im sure I would have to run expensive tabs ($3000) or so.

The motor has 101 hours, and is a carbed version 525SC not EFI. Old owner claims you need to run 93 octane, Not sure why. Just going by what he says. He spent $25000 alone on the boat. It is just pristine.

I know Ill end up regreting taking the 525 out and should really think long and hard about making a snap decision.

If I did get rid of it, is it worth $15000-$20000 and could I get into a Standard 496 for $10,000ish?
Old 05-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Hydrualic steering is a must. I did not have trim tabs...might of been a way to tame the porpoising. Surely did not need them to get on plane.

I stand by 91 octane if you REALLY have a MC HP525SC. If it is was a normally aspirated 454 that somebody stuck a blower on top it's a whole 'nutter deal. If it is a real MC HP 525SC, make sure nobody changed the pullies to the blower or made other changes that may increase it's octane needs.

I'm at a loss as to way Tlyer says 93 octane...but the guy sure as heck knows a lot more than me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I was to monkey with my 525SC's, he is the first guy I'd talk to.

Originally Posted by BeakBoater35
Really try trimming past the chine walk. If it started to porpoise I increased throttle a bit or decreased trim a very small amount. Take you time getting used to boat and don't make sudden changes. Your boat will become a dream come true with that motor. Just use caution and be careful.

I have a pair of 525SC motors in my 35'. Stock, the motors require 91 octane as per Mercury HP. I would not be surprised if that is on the high side of what the motors really need. In stock form, you should be seeing about 5 PSI boost at WOT.

I have run 89 octane in a pich...to be ultra safe I throttled back to the point where you can feel the secondaries in the throttle lever...keeping the boost a minimum.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:09 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest buying a 28 footer with a stock 454/496HO swap the motors and sell the one you dont want.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

He's talking a 525SC, not a 525EFI. Don't think that engine's gonna sell well these days.

Ease off the gas, or (better yet) pull the blower off of it.

Quick Reply: What to do? 525 way to much for new boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.