Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Tres Martin's Performance School (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/157377-tres-martins-performance-school.html)

tanner 05-03-2007 03:33 PM

Tres Martin's Performance School

A few people on the last Poker Run to the keys had asked me, "How was the school?" and was it worth attending sometime? I wanted to write this post to tell people I would absolutley take the course, not only do you learn alot of little things, you definatley become a better and safer driver... PERIOD.
I know there are some people out there who have been boating for years and have had several high performance boats, who would say "I've been boating for 25 years" ! you can also do something wrong for 25 years if you don't know any different!!
The people who do wonder if it would be good , all you need to do is ask yourself a couple of questions

- How many footprints do I have on the bottom of my hull ?

- Where is the low pressure water under the hull and at the drives ? (Lost you on that one)

- Why not just hold the wheel steady through a high speed turn ?

I think Tres, and Brad do a wondeerful job... Glad I went and for the sake of my family and friends who I bring on the boat, they are now safer also!!!

Todd Tanner

wigginout 05-03-2007 06:01 PM

People I talked to at Havasu were all happy they took it. Probably couldn't find any body better to head up the class then Tres.

allfiredup 05-03-2007 06:55 PM

I agree it's a great class. I learned things that was really obvious but you also don't think of them in that way. It is well worth the money.

BillR 05-03-2007 07:13 PM

I have been boating for 25 years. . . .
:)

Matter of fact - one boater friend says he never uses his K-planes to adjust for wind - just his drives. (one up - one down) Of course, he has been boating all his life - so he knows it all.

I took Tres' class. SO much good info. I too feel I am safer and now know what others around me are about to do just by the "attitude' of their boats. I know what to look for and know how to interpret what I see. It is almost info overload - so much material. But Tres' format is personal, you can't go away w/o a vast knowledge base.

His class is worth every penny!! Thanks Tres for offering this course.

Tres - BTW: That 1" spacer looks like it may have added 2mph - but further evalution is necessary. Now if can can get you to come to Va. Beach and help me dial in my boat. . . . . . .

Tanner - you forgot two very important questions:
How can I tell if I am about to spin out? What do you do to prevent spin outs?

tanner 05-03-2007 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by marylandmark (Post 2115915)
ok- what are the answers?

Sorry, the answers are simple to give, but the knowledge of the answers are priceless!!!

tanner 05-03-2007 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by BillR (Post 2115916)
I have been boating for 25 years. . . .
:)

Matter of fact - one boater friend says he never uses his K-planes to adjust for wind - just his drives. (one up - one down) Of course, he has been boating all his life - so he knows it all.

I took Tres' class. SO much good info. I too feel I am safer and now know what others around me are about to do just by the "attitude' of their boats. I know what to look for and know how to interpret what I see. It is almost info overload - so much material. But Tres' format is personal, you can't go away w/o a vast knowledge base.

His class is worth every penny!! Thanks Tres for offering this course.

Tres - BTW: That 1" spacer looks like it may have added 2mph - but further evalution is necessary. Now if can can get you to come to Va. Beach and help me dial in my boat. . . . . . .

Tanner - you forgot two very important questions:
How can I tell if I am about to spin out? What do you do to prevent spin outs?

Well I certainly do not want to teach the class, but I will say make sure your bow does not straighten up in a turn, and DONT LET OFF THE THROTTLE!!!

H20 Toie 05-04-2007 06:07 PM

yep it was a very worth while class

SDH 05-04-2007 11:03 PM

I know they offer several classes which do you recommend?

BillR 05-05-2007 08:39 AM

The High Performance 2 day course.

el indio 05-05-2007 08:21 PM

....you dont steer these boats.....you drive them....and you need to know how.....