Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Smoke on the Water Poker Run 2007 has been canceled >

Smoke on the Water Poker Run 2007 has been canceled

Notices

Smoke on the Water Poker Run 2007 has been canceled

Old 08-19-2008, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marc, Sorry you went though that but I'm glad to hear it ended...
Old 08-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
Nort were you friends with the owner of the OL, if my memory serves me correct he was from CA.
The one man that died lived a few miles from me and the listed award is probably for the spouse of him. He lived in Hartland WI and that attorney firm is not far from here either.

In any event, sad to hear all of this. Wonder what Bob Russel and the driver's responsibility was in all of this......
Old 08-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hp500efi
Wonder what Bob Russel and the driver's responsibility was in all of this......

That would be GOOD info to make public!!! I've loaned my boat out to a friend for the weekend but I get an insurance binder for them.....not many people think about that. Even if you let them drive for a minute or two......are you covered? Probably not.

Last edited by PhantomChaos; 08-19-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Registered

BTW, How much Liabilties did Outerlimits have pony out?
Old 08-20-2008, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boatme
1)
4)What kind of event insurance did they have and the limits?
3 Million coverage with 1% deductable (Big one for you promoters to look at)

We would have been better off to have less, not more, insurance coverage dollar wise

5)What about the promoters.....did they have personal umbrella policies?

Turns out it is good thing we did not, or the lawyers would have been trying to attach themselfs to that as well

Until we stop voting lawyers into public office, and while we continue to let the system abuse us, it will never be about right and wrong, it will be about MONEY

If you read the final ruling it would make you sick on how they tried to arrive at a dollar amount. What was even more outragouse is how the did there calculations
Marc, Can you explain how the insurance coverage being less instead of more, and having no umbrella, could be better?

I agree, lawyers become judges, judges and lawyers become politicians, and we wonder why we get screwed and the system continues to get worse.

Is there anywhere we can read the final decision? I know a lot of times there are gag orders issued, but the attorneys would have broken that rule by posting the award amount on their "Brag" board. Good luck, ever another "Smoke"?
Old 08-20-2008, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratickle
Marc, Can you explain how the insurance coverage being less instead of more, and having no umbrella, could be better?

I agree, lawyers become judges, judges and lawyers become politicians, and we wonder why we get screwed and the system continues to get worse.

Is there anywhere we can read the final decision? I know a lot of times there are gag orders issued, but the attorneys would have broken that rule by posting the award amount on their "Brag" board. Good luck, ever another "Smoke"?
The more insurance you have, that becomes the amount the lawyers go after. They start higher then work their way down toward "Limits of liability"
Much discussion was made about "Limits of liability"

If you have a deductable of 1% on 3 million it cost you out of pocket $30,000 before coverage starts (some exceptions)
If you have 1 million coverage then you are on the hook for $10,000 with your deductable Pretty easy math

Not sure if the final decision is on line

All i know is it is a huge amount of reading (yes i have read it all many times )

Families not only got CASH but they got collage for there kids and also got possession of the boat and trailer (was for sale on line for a while) and some other nice benefits were also attached to the final decision

My paperwork on this entire fiasco is literally over 2 feet high.

I will say it again DO NOT VOTE ANY LAWYERS INTO OFFICE
our country is going to hell much in part due to no accountability and alot of aragance on the part of the legal system

Last edited by boatme; 08-20-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boatme
I will say it again DO NOT VOTE ANY LAWYERS INTO OFFICE
our country is going to hell much in part due to no accountability and alot of aragance on the part of the legal system
I agree, I always vote for Libertarians when it comes to judges because they believe in the strictest interpretation of the Constitution, period.

Thanks for the info, will there ever be another "Smoke"?
Old 08-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratickle
will there ever be another "Smoke"?

I never say never
Old 08-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear this is over Marc. I know it was a terrible thing to go through but I hope you can get some peace of mind now. If you ever decide to do another Smoke, count us in. We'll be there. Ian
Old 08-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Glad it's over Marc. Agree 100% on the lawyer thing. This whole thing was a tragedy, it's a shame people lose focus when the $$$ start flashing.

Quick Reply: Smoke on the Water Poker Run 2007 has been canceled

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.