Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Smoke on the Water Poker Run 2007 has been canceled >

Smoke on the Water Poker Run 2007 has been canceled

Notices

Smoke on the Water Poker Run 2007 has been canceled

Old 08-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nort were you friends with the owner of the OL, if my memory serves me correct he was from CA.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
Nort were you friends with the owner of the OL, if my memory serves me correct he was from CA.

Nope....your memory is screwed up just like mine! If he was from CA, I don't know him, but I am on the board of SCOPE so I have concerns.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Registered

Yep, our entire system is screwed up.

The only person who should have been able to get sued is the driver and throttleman. Both are responsible in knowing the run stops and for the safety of the occupants on the boat.

Our court system sucks.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

So a person or family of one that could afford a new Outerlimits worth $500k plus sues and takes money away from Make A Wish kids for what really amounts to a driver error from somene not from the area and not knowing where to turn? Beautiful system we have here. ( I don't know what happened and it was years ago, but seems the boat was out front and realized he missed the port and panic turned at a high speed if I recall)

Seems there was a younger gentleman that lost his life that had a family and it was his first ride on such a boat in a run like this. That's very unfortunate and I can see his family seeking something, but from the driver of the boat, not the sponsor of the event. Maybe they got something from both, who knows.

All of this unfortunate, from the families of those involved to the kids that benfitted.

All I know is I'm glad I'm not living with that guilt. That is probably the worst of all. I never want to be in those shoes.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
That would be interesting information. Things I'm interested in are:

1) What did the waiver look like and the wording.
2) Who was named in the lawsuit?
3) On what grounds was the award made and who was liable?
4) What kind of event insurance did they have and the limits?
5) What about the promoters.....did they have personal umbrella policies?

It was a very comprehensive waiver It doesn't mater what it looked like. It could have been red, and the lawyers would have argued it looked blue and that is the color of water so it is all wet. It isn't about what is right and what is wrong its about MONEY!!!!

2)Who was named in the lawsuit?

Who wasn't ? Who ever the lawyers thought they could tap some money from got included

I say this seriously ,The award was based on how much the lawyers could get without it going to some type of trial. It was negotiated between Lawyers, Insurance agents, defendants, and litigants Translation is ANY ONE CAN BE LIABLE!!!

4)What kind of event insurance did they have and the limits?
3 Million coverage with 1% deductable (Big one for you promoters to look at)

We would have been better off to have less, not more, insurance coverage dollar wise

5)What about the promoters.....did they have personal umbrella policies?

Turns out it is good thing we did not, or the lawyers would have been trying to attach themselfs to that as well

Until we stop voting lawyers into public office, and while we continue to let the system abuse us, it will never be about right and wrong, it will be about MONEY

At one point in depositions a dipstick lawyer asked " how fast are the boats on your logo are going." Answer - "They arent moving at all, why do you see them moving on my shirt ???"

If you read the final ruling it would make you sick on how they tried to arrive at a dollar amount. What was even more outragouse is how the did there calculations

The ones who really win at this are the lawyers

We sat for hours in mediation. Everytime the mediator walked out of the room to confer with another group, the lawyers in the room started bad mouthing judges. Imagin that

The moral here is you are at risk for anything, and it just is a matter how high you want your exposure to be

No insurance will protect you from being sued It just helps to pay for it, that is all. But you will spend a ton to prove you are inicent no matter what you are being sued for

Last edited by boatme; 08-19-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Registered

sorry i just re read what i wrote and i rambled a bit

I just get so pizzed off every time i start thinking about this nighmare that i start to ramble
Old 08-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatme

It was a very comprehensive waiver It doesn't mater what it looked like. It could have been red, and the lawyers would have argued it looked blue and that is the color of water so it is all wet. It isn't about what is right and what is wrong its about MONEY!!!!

2)Who was named in the lawsuit?

Who wasn't ? Who ever the lawyers thought they could tap some money from got included

I say this seriously ,The award was based on how much the lawyers could get without it going to some type of trial. It was negotiated between Lawyers, Insurance agents, defendants, and litigants Translation is ANY ONE CAN BE LIABLE!!!

4)What kind of event insurance did they have and the limits?
3 Million coverage with 1% deductable (Big one for you promoters to look at)

We would have been better off to have less, not more, insurance coverage dollar wise

5)What about the promoters.....did they have personal umbrella policies?

Turns out it is good thing we did not, or the lawyers would have been trying to attach themselfs to that as well

Until we stop voting lawyers into public office, and while we continue to let the system abuse us, it will never be about right and wrong, it will be about MONEY

At one point in depositions a dipstick lawyer asked " how fast are the boats on your logo are going." Answer - "They arent moving at all, why do you see them moving on my shirt ???"

If you read the final ruling it would make you sick on how they tried to arrive at a dollar amount. What was even more outragouse is how the did there calculations

The ones who really win at this are the lawyers

We sat for hours in mediation. Everytime the mediator walked out of the room to confer with another group, the lawyers in the room started bad mouthing judges. Imagin that

The moral here is you are at risk for anything, and it just is a matter how high you want your exposure to be

No insurance will protect you from being sued It just helps to pay for it, that is all. But you will spend a ton to prove you are inicent no matter what you are being sued for
Thanks for the info.....so they got the max you were covered for on the event ($3 million)?
Old 08-19-2008, 06:39 PM
Registered

did not say that
Old 08-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

sorry i just re read what i wrote and i rambled a bit

I just get so pizzed off every time i start thinking about this nighmare that i start to ramble

MB,

You didn't ramble. You've had enough and I for one understand.

Nobody is accountable in today's society.

I'm glad it's behind you.

Pat

Last edited by ActiveThunder; 08-19-2008 at 06:54 PM. Reason: spellcheck
Old 08-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Registered

did not say that

I know you did not say that but it is the same amount you mentioned that you were covered for. Sorry..........just trying to help other clubs here besides our own.

Quick Reply: Smoke on the Water Poker Run 2007 has been canceled

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.