Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Stereo Experts Once Again-HELP!?!?! >

Stereo Experts Once Again-HELP!?!?!

Notices

Stereo Experts Once Again-HELP!?!?!

Old 01-07-2002, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Stereo Experts Once Again-HELP!?!?!

Hello,
Was hoping someone could give me some advice on my stereo installation? I'm hoping to relocate the head unit to a more user-friendly location and I need help with the existing hole. The head unit was located under the rear bench right in the middle. There is a 6X9 on each side of the opening with lots of room in the middle. I'm going to move the head unit to the side of the passenger seat. What can I do with the old cutout under the rear bench? Was thinking maybe a changer could fit there? Any other ideas? I'm planning on two pair of 6X9's already but could theoretically go with four pair of 6X9's running the amp at 2ohms. Any ideas???? Thanks for the help.
Dave

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Dave1972 ]
Old 01-07-2002, 09:06 PM
FWK

Dave, I would need more info. What boat do you have? What amp are you running if you do not have a amp the head unit will not operate for long at 2 ohms if at all. If the hole is in the center I would opt for a subwoofer if it will fit. But not knowing your setup it this is a guess that it will fit. I never recommend any electronics installed under the rear bench or the engine compartment to much water or chance of water damage. Sorry I can't help more, Forrest

Old 01-08-2002, 08:58 AM
Registered

I have a 25' Eliminator Eagle v-bottom. I have a sub box in the engine compartment with 2-12" Infinity Perfects. The head unit will not be the amp providing any power. I have the MTXThunder6304 4 channel amp running the 6X9's and a MTXThunder6500D running the subs. Needless to say I don't need any more subs under the seat so that's where my dilemma comes in! Was just looking for options with the center "hole" where the old head unit was. I agree with not putting much under the back seat because of water but I have to fill the void with something!! Thanks for your help.
Dave
Old 01-08-2002, 09:19 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
How about a custom lighting fixture or something? Something with LEDs or Neon, or a mirror maybe. Just thoughts. Maybe you could put some type of colored downward facing flood light there to illuminate the cockpit floor at night.

Brian
Old 01-08-2002, 09:36 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
If you can find a light to put in there that is a good idea. I am amazed that a manufacturer would even put a head unit under the seat like that. That must have sucked to use!!! The problem with a cd changer is that it will not have a cover on it that your radie propably did offering at leaste some protection. What I would do is get a quote from a glass guy to fill in the hole and repaint that bench. They can do it so that you do not even know that the hole was there and it may not cost that much to do. As far as running the amp at 2 ohms, I do not like to do that. It will tend to make the amp run hot and draw a lot off your batteries. If you can get another small 2 channel amp you may be better off.

Jon
Old 01-08-2002, 09:37 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
If you do not want another amp run the speakers in Serries (sp). You will only loose 3db out of it (almost unnoticable) but the amp will run ice cold and have that much more control over the speakers.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:50 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts
Arrow

Just a thought....but if you by chance happen to have your amps under the back seat you may think of maybe installing a pair of small fans inplace of the radio and cover the hole with a nice fan grill or something along that line. Would get some fresh air in there and look factory too!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-08-2002, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you just want to cover the hole, have a piece of anodized aluminum made with the mfr logo on it, or you could just use a piece of starboard...

I'm no stereo expert, but I too would avoid putting any more electronics under that seat.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:58 PM
Registered

Great ideas everyone! I like the fan idea to cool amps. Although I don't have the amps located under the rear seats now, that could be an option if I could guarantee that they don't get wet. The light or the logo is another good option. The option of filling the hole in won't work real well and would be pretty expensive as the rear seat is covered in vinyl. Right now it's looking like a light, fan, or logo! Great posts and feel free to give more advice.

Audiofn, I have a four channel amp that will run 4 6X9's at 4 ohms. That would mean running 8 6X9's at 2 ohms right? What do you mean by running them in series? I'm all about keeping my amps cool and 3db isn't much loss. I'm a little confused! HELP!

Thanks again for the ideas...keep them coming!
Old 01-08-2002, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the light or the logo idea ! Or maybe put a maching speaker grill over it just to cover the hole ?

Quick Reply: Stereo Experts Once Again-HELP!?!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.