Old 01-09-2002, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 01-09-2002, 07:57 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Scarab3DMC

If I were you, I would call the factory and see what they have to say. You can take a straight edge up to say 10' long and lay it on the bottom from the transom forward. Slide it from the center out to the edge of the boat and see if you find any hook. If you take a point 10' forward of the transom on the keel, then draw lines back to each corner of the transom. Depending on the length of your boat, this will be the running surface at some certain speed. Wheather it be cruise or top end.. The bottom should be straight and symetrical. If it is not, then the manufacture may have designed in some hook or rocker. If you change it, it may screw up the handling of the boat.
I know of one manufacture that had two molds for a certain model. Depending on which motor you ordered, they could tell if you were a Hi performance type and used the hull with less hook.
Now I took all of the hook out of one of my boats. I did it in two steps. One year just filed down the area two inches forward of the transom.. Didnt seem to change much, cant remember if is went faster..
The next year I removed all of the hook. Well the boat ran faster, I think. But a strange thing would happen. Running along at 60mph in 3'-4' water, then comes along a little bit bigger wave and bingo.. It was like you launched the space shuttle, bow would go straight up, then trip and almost stuff. It would set the nose in and the stern would walk on the prop.. Boat stops in a few feet. Well I finally did some calling around and found out that I needed some hook back in the bottom. But I didnt put it back on the pad area, I move out a ways and addes some hook back in. Then I could run 70/75mph in 3'-5' water.
So if you want to modify your hull, check out someone else's research first. Find someone that has done it on the exact same hull as yours, same year, etc..... to make sure it will do what you want it to..

I hope this helps .....good luck..

Dick
Old 01-09-2002, 08:44 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

We blueprint every bottom of every boat and will tell you we certainly think it is worth it. We don't like to give out our research, but it made a huge difference adn there certainly is a right and a wrong way to do it. If you are going to get it done, drop me a call and I will give you a few pointers. If done corectly, your boat can handle better also.
Old 01-09-2002, 08:58 PM
Registered

I had the bottom flattened out on an old 30 Scarab I used to have, and noticed no difference. If you realy want some info, try to hook up with Glassdave. He doss realy good work, and he's out of Toledo. Good luck.
Old 01-10-2002, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
TTT