Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
bug you guys for a minute about cleaners. >

bug you guys for a minute about cleaners.

Notices

bug you guys for a minute about cleaners.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default bug you guys for a minute about cleaners.

I know the title is kinda vague but if it said "which cleaners do you use" most of you'd skip over it, i know i would..haha

An idea occured to me this weekend while cleaning the boat. My neighbor asked what I used to clean the vinyl on my boat and I tossed him a bottle of my homemade stuff. He said it worked better than anything else he's tried. I explained to him that I make it myself.

My family owns a chemical manufacturing company here in Oklahoma and anytime I need cleaners, I usually just design my own for whatever the application is and I make it myself. Ive been making my own boat cleaners for the last couple of seasons based on what my father used to make to clean his boats.

Well you know how these things get going, one guy uses it and loves it and he tells one guy and he tells another guy and that guy passes it on, etc. etc. etc.

Well i gave out a few bottles of cleaner this weekend and everyone was really thrilled with it and been buggin me about wanting more of it. So Im interested in possibly starting to produce the stuff and sell it at some of the local marinas.

I make my own window cleaner, vinyl cleaner, hull wash, boat wash and boat cover cleaners.

Is there really a market for yet ANOTHER cleaner out there or is it already flooded with miracle cleaners?

I make my own based on what "I" need it to do which is cleaning spider dunk off of the white vinyl, etc.

Any thoughts on this guys?

Any help is appreciated, what would you guys like to see in cleaners and what cleaners do you use>?
Old 05-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

One that would sell at local marina's for the larger cruisers is something to take diesel soot off of fiberglass. This has always been a problem on our big boats.

The best thing I found so far is the orange Zep degreaser from Home Depot.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by WARPARTY36
One that would sell at local marina's for the larger cruisers is something to take diesel soot off of fiberglass. This has always been a problem on our big boats.

The best thing I found so far is the orange Zep degreaser from Home Depot.

I can make something comparable to that..
Old 05-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Registered

any other ideas? If i couldmake my own magic eraser, i would but thats got some tough stuff built into it..
Old 05-08-2007, 07:28 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Send me a small sample of the vinyl cleaner.
I have some cleaning of various items. If your blend works, you'll have the best stuff known to man and I'll let everyone know.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 05-08-2007, 08:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something like magic erasers that has no long term ill effects on the vinyl would be awesome.

Also a magic eraser type deal that takes the waterline stain off the boat would be fantastic too. Currently On and Off works best but requires gloves and a brush to use the stuff.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you already have the facilities and the bottling equipment - why not? I was going to release a line of fuel additive products for Diesels, but did not like the numbers after splitting the profit with the guy who had the facilities and equipment. You will have to market it all over the country - it is a lot of work. Go for it!
Old 05-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts

I just had a hell of a time cleaning some spots off my dads boat.....it looked like mildew but wouldnt come off with bleach! It stained the vinyl black.....i finnaly tried Wesleys Bleach White for tires and it took it off!! and sofar it doesnt look to have affecte3d the vinyl at all....of course i treated it after wiping all the Westleys off but it looks like its the stuff to use!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 05-08-2007, 10:27 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

I would be interested in something that would make white vinyl bright again and be a conditioner as well if it's possible.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
I would be interested in something that would make white vinyl bright again and be a conditioner as well if it's possible.
ditto.

Quick Reply: bug you guys for a minute about cleaners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.