Like Tree0Likes

Virginia fuels tax refund?

Reply
Old 05-10-2007, 01:54 PM
  #11
Geronimo36
Gold Member
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Elkton, MD
My Boats: 36' Apache Warrior / 22' Apache Scout
Posts: 11,838
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor1115 View Post
Just a thought...don't the marina fuels all ready have the road tax removed from the price? Are the marinas still including this price and "gouging" boaters?
Yeah really..... that's how it is here in NJ.....

Go figure....if a marina has a pump on land they have to pay the land tax...but they still stick it to us at the pump on the water.....

All gas on the water is 10-15% higher and they don't have to pay the tax... At least make the prices the same as they are on land which would make me feel better about the d!ckhead boat owner tax...
Panther is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:34 PM
  #12
S.O.B (single O/B) now
Platinum Member
 
t500hps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 7,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther View Post
Yeah really..... that's how it is here in NJ.....

Go figure....if a marina has a pump on land they have to pay the land tax...but they still stick it to us at the pump on the water.....

All gas on the water is 10-15% higher and they don't have to pay the tax... At least make the prices the same as they are on land which would make me feel better about the d!ckhead boat owner tax...
Think about what the insurance costs must be for a gas tank just feet from a naviagable body of water. On top of that marinas sell less gas each year than the tpical road side station. (maybe the same # of gallons during the summer per day, but certainly much less during 8 months out of the year)
t500hps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:42 PM
  #13
Geronimo36
Gold Member
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Elkton, MD
My Boats: 36' Apache Warrior / 22' Apache Scout
Posts: 11,838
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
Think about what the insurance costs must be for a gas tank just feet from a naviagable body of water. On top of that marinas sell less gas each year than the tpical road side station. (maybe the same # of gallons during the summer per day, but certainly much less during 8 months out of the year)
When I was younger, 18-20 yrs old.. I leased a gas dock with a partner, I know the costs all too well...and it's a rip off..

We could afford to charge the same price for 93 octane as the competition up the river was charging for 89 and still had an exellent profit margin and my commission was nice....

Last edited by Panther; 05-10-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Panther is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:39 PM
  #14
S.O.B (single O/B) now
Platinum Member
 
t500hps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 7,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther View Post
When I was younger, 18-20 yrs old.. I leased a gas dock with a partner, I know the costs all too well...and it's a rip off..

We could afford to charge the same price for 93 octane as the competition up the river was charging for 89 and still had an exellent profit margin and my commission was nice....
Profit at 18-20 years old is much different than profit at 38-40 years old......
I don't know the numbers, just thought my logic made sense.
t500hps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:54 PM
  #15
Registered
 
rush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Reedville, va. Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor1115 View Post
Just a thought...don't the marina fuels all ready have the road tax removed from the price? Are the marinas still including this price and "gouging" boaters?
No they don"t, that is why you get a roadtax refund.
rush is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:29 PM
  #16
Geronimo36
Gold Member
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Elkton, MD
My Boats: 36' Apache Warrior / 22' Apache Scout
Posts: 11,838
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
Profit at 18-20 years old is much different than profit at 38-40 years old......
I don't know the numbers, just thought my logic made sense.
We'll I don't know...cause I'm not even 30 yet (September)...

My profits were much less (5,6 and 7% for 89, Super and Diesel, respectively) than what the marina was making. We were selling the fuel at 100% mark-up from our distributor and averaged, if I remember correctly, about 50k gallons a weekend and about 1/2 that during the week.

Last edited by Panther; 05-10-2007 at 08:33 PM.
Panther is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
StrikinLightnin
General Boating Discussion
14
02-09-2004 09:05 PM
Sydwayz
General Boating Discussion
17
07-03-2003 11:45 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.