Old 05-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry 2007 Boat speed limits coming...

Thursday, May 10, 2007 Boat speed limits coming
By GEOFF CUNNINGHAM Jr.
[email protected]

The N.H. Marine Patrol is developing plans to notify the public about boating speed limits on certain areas of Lake Winnipesaukee this summer.

Director of Safety Services Dave Barrett said a formal date for starting the pilot speed limit program has yet to be set, as the program continues to move through the administrative rules process. He expects it to be in effect for the heart of the boating season — July — and running into the fall.

The pilot program currently in development would set a 45 mph daytime and 25 mph nighttime speed limit on the Big Lake as a means of getting hard data on whether legislative action on boating speeds is helpful.

In March the House Transportation Committee considering House Bill 847, which would set speed limits on all lakes, voted to retain the bill, holding it over to the next session. Meanwhile, the pilot program, offered as an alternative by then-outgoing Department of Safety Commissioner Richard Flynn, will be implemented on Lake Winnipesaukee.

Initial proposals call for two speed enforcement zones. One would go from Bear Island, southwest of the mainland, to Pine Island; the other would start at Rattlesnake Island and run southeast toward Sleeper Island.

Barrett has said he already has the manpower and radar equipment necessary to conduct the pilot program on Lake Winnipesaukee, but he said the initial challenge will be assuring that boaters have proper notice of what will be a big change on the state's largest lake.

"One of our biggest concerns is providing sufficient notice and we are exploring any number of ways to get the maximum exposure," said Barrett.

The Marine Patrol head said his staff has been meeting to discuss how to post the speed limits both on and off the water so that people are aware that his officers will be monitoring and enforcing the speed limit in certain areas of the lake.

Barrett said one possibility being discussed could see Marine Patrol securing buoys near the target areas to notify people of the speed limits.

"The problem is that you have to watch where you put them because you don't want to create a navigational hazard," said Barrett.

Barrett said the pilot program almost certainly will be publicized in media outlets, but posting signs at public docking areas also needs to be done — a necessity that he said could prove complicated, considering that the speed limit zones are on a large lake.

He said one option might be to post the global position system (GPS) coordinates of the zones, though he admitted that the language on the signs cannot be so detailed that they confuse the reader.

"It could get kind of lengthy. We need to not only use language, but make it simple as we can, and it may be that we just notice that there are two areas that have a speed zone," explained Barrett.

Barrett said his department could head out onto the water early to do some speed "samplings," as he assured that nobody really knows exactly how fast boaters are going until you get radar readings. He noted that a louder boat traveling just under the proposed 45 mph daytime limit might appear to be going 60-70 mph from shore.

"[The question is] what are the hard numbers, and nobody knows, but hopefully we are going to find out," said Barrett.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What happened to "Live Free or Die"?
Old 05-10-2007, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts

One day we are going to have to get a permit to leave our own home the way the world is going. It is absolutely sickening.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of Big Brother, Nazi B.S. is this!?!
Old 05-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Registered

He noted that a louder boat traveling just under the proposed 45 mph daytime limit might appear to be going 60-70 mph from shore.

Exactly my reasoning behind pushing for quieter boats.
If we weren't loud I don't think we would be getting half of this attention.
Something to think about.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Registered

On Lake Travis there is a nightime speed limit. There is no set speed limit in the daytime.

Most of the deaths (drownings) on Lake Travis occur with the "key off". The combination of too much alcohol and zero respect for the water causes alot of drownings here.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Registered
Gold Member

So, my question is this - I understand the zone between Sleepers and Rattlesnake Isl., but I don't get the zone between Bear and Pine Isl. That is a no wake zone to begin with, so no one goes above 6mph there anyway... or I am just retarded and I am missing the coordinates of that zone?
Old 05-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Registered

We all know the reality.
Noise has nothing to do with speed. The noise just feeds the fire. "It's those loud boats that ruin everything...."
They may not even see you but they sure can hear you.
If your're making noise you must be going too fast.
And when this BS comes up they jump on the bandwagon.
You can't tell me our lives wouldn't be easier if our fun didn't ruin the quiet tranquility of their Golden Ponds.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:00 PM
Registered

The only reason they outlaw switchable exhaust is because you're able to make noise again when the cops aren't around.
You see a cop you switch it on.
If they were smart they would allow switchables as long as you were able to meet the noise ord. levels in the open position.
But that would make too much sense.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Registered

my first post . . . i am amazed at the list of businesses around the lakes region that are the supporting the speed limit. some of them are marinas on the lake. looks like i will have to find some different restaurants this summers as well. check it out . . .

http://www.winnfabs.com/business_supporters.pdf

Quick Reply: 2007 Boat speed limits coming...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.