Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   job interview??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/15801-job-interview.html)

puder 01-09-2002 02:21 PM

job interview???

OK for all you old farts that kept telling me to get a real job I finally took you advice.

I have an interview on friday. Any tips or suggestions you recommened? This is my first actual job interview, so any advice is welcome. :D

cigarette1 01-09-2002 02:25 PM

For the most part ... don't tell them any more than what they are asking ... because that's what they want to know .... works for me :cool:

Good Luck

SummerObsession 01-09-2002 02:27 PM

Try to avoid a spelling test. :D :D j/k

freckles 01-09-2002 02:28 PM

Cool, you're halfway there. Go to the bookstore or library and get/read "Knock 'Em Dead". It has advise on everything from sweaty palms on the introductory handshake to thank you letters after the interview. It tells you what questions to anticipate and how to creatively answer them without lying.

Good luck!

KCHOTBOAT 01-09-2002 02:30 PM

In your case have someone else type your resume. :D

thunderdan 01-09-2002 02:31 PM

To add on to cigarette comment..answer their questions as honestly as possible. If you are not sure of the question, do not be embarressed to ask them to repeat it. Try to find something in common with the interviewer to build some type of rapport with them. My first job that I got out of college was with a large regional bank and my first interview we talked about college hockey because he and I both played. He only asked me a few questions that were actual job related. I think that many employeers are as much concerned with how you present yourself, both apperance as well as verbally. Relax and you will do fine. :D

thunderdan 01-09-2002 02:32 PM

Oh yeah, sorry GOOD LUCK. :D

Biggus 01-09-2002 02:34 PM

Freckles, I agree that book is fantastic!.My wife picked it up just before an interview and she felt that it made a huge difference in her presentation. She got the job! :D

Von Bongo 01-09-2002 02:34 PM

Dress nice, good handshake, make eye contact, answer the questions, don't say "Ya Know?" or "Uhhh" a lot, think in advance what questions you want to know about them and if you can find out something about the company before the interview.

Send a thank you card or note after the interview if it sounds like something you want to do.

Other than that be yourself!

Risk Taker 01-09-2002 02:35 PM

Don't tell them what you think they want to hear.....Be yourself, and ask questions about the company. Also, the follow-up letter is very important. Send it out right away, thank them for their time, and reiterate to them what value you think you will bring to their company.......(have someone else type it :D ;) ).

GOOD LUCK !!

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Risk Taker ]