Notices

Catalina Island on Fire

Old 05-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well no, not necessarily BS...What's Pendleton like 40 miles from Avalon?
Old 05-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to fly into the airport there and load sometimes with Jet a so maybe they changed. If you never have been to the airport it looks smaller than it really is. The first time I used to bring people there they were afraid I could not stop the plane. the runway is 3200ft with a 1600ft drop at both ends
Old 05-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Registered

Hmm, seems farther than 40 miles from HB to Pendelton by car. I would have guess something more like 60 miles. Which Is in the ball park I guess. You just get very used to the news being full of crap (for example the "Battle For Avalon" graphic on channel 5 this morning)!

I've never been to the Airport in the Sky... Paul Moyer said that there was no Jet A up there.

http://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/avalon/webcam2.php

Last edited by Dude! Sweet!; 05-11-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet!
You just get very used to the news being full of crap (for example the "Battle For Avalon" graphic on channel 5 this morning)!
You and me, both. I don't put much faith in journalism (if you can call it that anymore) anymore.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Not much better on this coast, either.
We have fires raging throughout FL and Georgia, tens of thousands of acres have burned here as well.

Today was supposed to be a bright, sunny day without a cloud in the sky - and there isn't a cloud anywhere, yet visibility is only about 1/4 mile right now. The smell is terrible, everything stinks - my house, truck, everything. It makes it tough seeing and breathing. Burns the hell out of your nose and eyes.

What can you do though?

This is my drive home.
Attached Thumbnails Catalina Island on Fire-smoke1.jpg   Catalina Island on Fire-smoke2.jpg  
Old 05-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Registered

I feel for you bud! I have to wash a layer of ash off of my house and everything I leave out side about once every two months. There is so much pollution and fall out from all the fires we have out here that you can't keep anything clean. And the ash and pollution is corrosive!

Sorry to see that its no better out there. I was just complaining to my wife the other day that we should move to Florida!
Old 05-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sucks man. Luckily I haven't seen ash yet. I know how bad that can be.

Good luck to you guys. Be safe.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Registered

Looks like the fire is getting under control, but KFWB says that only residents are welcome back this weekend. Dang, I was getting the boat ready to go. Well, maybe we'll just go next weekend.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Registered

Our band of Burbankers take the entire Inn at Mt Ada for a few days each June and we're really looking forward to our trip in the next few weeks. I think we'll have to cancel our "outback" tour however. Guess we'll stick to golf cart racing, dining and drinking...
Old 05-11-2007, 09:06 PM
Registered

Last night on the news Catalina looked like it was gonna burn clean down to the waterlines. . . . could not see it from my deck because of marine layer. . . . today - much better, at least Avalon is safe.

Quick Reply: Catalina Island on Fire

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.