Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What does it take to freeze & crack an engine block? >

What does it take to freeze & crack an engine block?

Notices

What does it take to freeze & crack an engine block?

Old 05-18-2007, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by razor1115
Great minds nursed on a steady diet of beer think alike... another hypothesis we should all agree on!
Now that's a friggin' hypothesis I can live with! In fact, in about 4 hours I'm going to begin my weekend diet!
Old 05-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL....how fast are you going up a 5mph river current if your GPS says you are going 30MPH??
Old 05-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Registered

Even if out in 28 to 30 degrees you might get a little slushy.

But to freeze solid, enough to crack a block, it was left out.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

No way.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Croozin2
Now that's a friggin' hypothesis I can live with! In fact, in about 4 hours I'm going to begin my weekend diet!
That would be the Friday afternoon transfusion of beer necessary for another week of survival!
Old 05-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Registered

Just for the record, I have a ice machine that makes a 12 by 12 by 1 inch block of ice in 20 min.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
I have a question? I have a friend (i know hard to believe). He has a fountain. He sent his boat up north months back. On the way up the transporter ran into a snow storm. The temp dropped to 30 degrees. the transporter pulled over, dumped a few gallons of antifreeze into each sea strainer and cranked the motors. Never strarted them! Got back n the road, drove about 5 hours to the destination where supposably the boat was put inside a heated warehouse. Long story short, now both blocks and 2 heads are cracked. Because the motors were never started and the thermostats never opened the blocks were full of water. My question is, could they have frozen that bad in that short of time in those just below freezing temps while in transport. My opinion is no friggen way, the boat had to be left outside for a period of time in colder temp to do that kind of damage.
This is a huge problem, we need expert advice. We all know how may experts we have on OSO!!

Gino,

Where was the boat trailered from? Fresh water boat, salt water boat?

Salt water freezes at 28 degrees, fresh water 32.... Even if a salt water boat was fresh water flushed there would still be some salt content in the water....so say 30 is freezing point.... First the block would have to cool down to 30 degrees because it insulates the water...that would take a while.........

First thing that freezes are the oil coolers and water pumps...not blocks and heads...

But I guess anything is possible....

Last edited by Panther; 05-18-2007 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The oil company forgot to deliver oil to my house in Maine. I got a funny feeling one day and asked Biggus on the board to run over and check the house. My house was down to 24 degrees inside. This is a VERY well insulated house so it took a little while to get down that low. Kurt said that there was zero ice in the toilet and none of the pipes were frozen. So I say that some one left the boat out for a very long time. Even if your motors started to freeze on the way up it would take a good amount of time for it to freeze so hard that it would actually crack the blocks.

Jon
Old 05-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rush
Just for the record, I have a ice machine that makes a 12 by 12 by 1 inch block of ice in 20 min.
So are you saying someone put the boat in an ice machine?
Old 05-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
Gino,

Where was the boat trailered from? Fresh water boat, salt water boat?

Salt water freezes at 28 degrees, fresh water 32.... Even if a salt water boat was fresh water flushed there would still be some salt content in the water....so say 30 is freezing point.... First the block would have to cool down to 30 degrees because it insulates the water...that would take a while.........

First thing that freezes are the oil coolers and water pumps...not blocks and heads...

But I guess anything is possible....
Salt water. The boat left northern fl and went to Kentucky. The boat sat outside during the 3 month stay. That's all there is to it.

Quick Reply: What does it take to freeze & crack an engine block?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.