Full Canopies - Hot or Not? >

Full Canopies - Hot or Not?

Notices

Full Canopies - Hot or Not?

Old 05-19-2007, 10:43 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea ask Ron P. There are many helicopters flying above when canopied boats are racing. I'd never run one hard without their presence. Also you need to take a dunker simulator test and see how you like being upside down and strapped in.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am being tempted by the SVL and SV boats that are on the market. I'm in Los Angeles, so there really isn't much chance of organized racing, so not too many helicopters overhead...

Ron, those pictures are, well, thought provoking. Wow!
Old 05-20-2007, 12:01 AM
Racer
Racer

We run a canopied SV and have 4 seats, we have run it in local pokeruns with passengers in the back. The key is not to run like we do while racing, and its very unlikely you'll go over.
Also we are from LI NY and it gets chilly up here in Oct. and Nov. while testing for the worlds in Florida, and it is warm and toastie in the canopy. Always strap in and if its rough wear a helmet, head versus roll bar always has the same winner. I will get some arguement on this one, but I personally feel you are safer in a canopy then you are in an open cockpit. We have made some violent turns while racing and came out unscathed. I shudder when I see boats whizzing by at a buck and a half with girls or guys standing and having a good old time, not realizing it could all change in a split second. In agreement with my cohorts visibility is an issue but with practice you can over come it, depending on the traffic in your area. ( got to be on the lookout for waverunners in your blind spots trying to get a better look at your vessel). Another negative for the Mrs. is no sun bathing!
Hope I was helpful.
Louie
Old 05-20-2007, 12:07 AM
Registered

Personally , I love the canopy over open cockpit for racing, but dont think I would want it for everyday pleasure boating.

And yes...strap in and wear your helmet all the time, you will hit your head, eventually.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by louietherigger
We run a canopied SV and have 4 seats, we have run it in local pokeruns with passengers in the back. The key is not to run like we do while racing, and its very unlikely you'll go over.
Also we are from LI NY and it gets chilly up here in Oct. and Nov. while testing for the worlds in Florida, and it is warm and toastie in the canopy. Always strap in and if its rough wear a helmet, head versus roll bar always has the same winner. I will get some arguement on this one, but I personally feel you are safer in a canopy then you are in an open cockpit. We have made some violent turns while racing and came out unscathed. I shudder when I see boats whizzing by at a buck and a half with girls or guys standing and having a good old time, not realizing it could all change in a split second. In agreement with my cohorts visibility is an issue but with practice you can over come it, depending on the traffic in your area. ( got to be on the lookout for waverunners in your blind spots trying to get a better look at your vessel). Another negative for the Mrs. is no sun bathing!
Hope I was helpful.
Louie
Funny you say that rigger ! Curty said you shuddered while you where in my seat for one of his joy rides.

Bye the way whear is the love ?
Old 05-20-2007, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

go with the open top
Old 05-20-2007, 07:06 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,614 Likes on 3,769 Posts

If you are going racing Canopy, Pleasure boating OPEN.
If you do go racing there are some different organizations, all have some type of safety training.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

So the consensus is open boats are better for pleasure? How do you explain all the canopy boats being sold never intended for racing? Gold Digger that everyone was gushing over, not one negative word about the canopy. I will never own a 100+ mph boat without 1/4 canopies or full canopy again. High wind sucks.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:17 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

How many people running pleasure canopied boats have taken the dunker test? Fast cats are definitely at risk to go over at 150+. The Phantoms and Extremes are super safe and are great boats. There was a guy here on Lake Lanier testing a SVL and the water patrol had 5 boats chasing him for over 30 minutes and he never knew they were after him. He wasn't running in a straight line either.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have ridden in many canopied V bottom Outerlimits. The visibilty is fine, and they are all air conditioned, so comfort isn't an issue.

The outerlimits canopies are removable with about a half hours worth of effort, with the exception of the 40SV model, those are permanent. If you don't feel like removing the entire canopie, then the hatches fore and aft are also removable to let some air circulate throught he cockpit.

I agree with the 5 point harnes if you are going to run hard. Also OL offers oxygen systems built in if that is what you want.

Quick Reply: Full Canopies - Hot or Not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.