Solenoids for K-Plane Pump

Notices

Solenoids for K-Plane Pump

Old 05-23-2007, 01:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solenoids for K-Plane Pump

I have solenoids that need replacing on my K-Planes pumps. I pulled one of the old ones and it was manufactred by Phelon and has a part number stamped on the metal bracket - 31-101746. I could not find this part on the net so I took it to NAPA. NAPA could not cross reference the number but found a soleniod that looked like it - NAPA ST81. I installed the new part and got nothing , no click, nada. I reinstalled the old and got the click. Does anyone have a manufacturer/part number that will work? Attached pic is what they look like. Boat is an '86 so I don't know how old the current solenoids are.

Thanks,

Ron
Attached Thumbnails Solenoids for K-Plane Pump-solenoid.jpg  
Old 05-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ron,
I'm not sure if the activation (small) terminals are polarity sensitive, but the NAPA solenoid should have worked. You might try reversing the leads. Be way careful about sparks in the engine compartment. Also be wary of non-marine parts in a marine environment both from a corrosion and spark protection standpoint.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:16 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

The genuine merc solonoid uses 1 of the small terminals for a ground (I think it is marked R) , in the automotive world it is a ballast resistor bypass.

If you hook it up so it clicks it will be an immediate short as the relay terminal will be hot and the little black wire (which you have happily hooked to this terminal) is grounded.

Aside from the explosion hazard you can make it work electrically by only using 1 of the small terminals ( S rings a bell)
The following users liked this post:
O.C.Barry (05-16-2022)
Old 06-17-2015, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Bringing this one WAY back from the dead.

I have a trim tab that is intermittently not working. I hopped in the bilge and smacked it around a bit and it worked for an afternoon or so. Knowing that most likely the solenoids are acting up, I would like to replace them. I see here that the Ford solenoid should work, and indeed mine visually looks like the Ford solenoid, but it is not wired like a Ford solenoid. For one thing, my solenoid appears to be signaled from the "I" terminal, and the "S" terminal is hooked to ground. In the typical ford solenoid wiring, the "S" terminal is the signal wire, the "I" terminal is 12 volts out while starting, and the ground is run through the base of the solenoid. So visually, it looks like I have a ford style solenoid, but that isn't in fact what it is.

Does anybody have a part number for the proper solenoid? I suppose I can change wiring around and make a Ford solenoid work but I would rather do it the right way. I have looked on Bam's sight and have not been able to find a solenoid like what I have.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by donzi matt
Bringing this one WAY back from the dead.

I have a trim tab that is intermittently not working. I hopped in the bilge and smacked it around a bit and it worked for an afternoon or so. Knowing that most likely the solenoids are acting up, I would like to replace them. I see here that the Ford solenoid should work, and indeed mine visually looks like the Ford solenoid, but it is not wired like a Ford solenoid. For one thing, my solenoid appears to be signaled from the "I" terminal, and the "S" terminal is hooked to ground. In the typical ford solenoid wiring, the "S" terminal is the signal wire, the "I" terminal is 12 volts out while starting, and the ground is run through the base of the solenoid. So visually, it looks like I have a ford style solenoid, but that isn't in fact what it is.

Does anybody have a part number for the proper solenoid? I suppose I can change wiring around and make a Ford solenoid work but I would rather do it the right way. I have looked on Bam's sight and have not been able to find a solenoid like what I have.
I think I have a spare one at home in a sierra box, if no one has answered, I'll give you the part number on it after work.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can order it from BAM online or by phone and it will likely ship today.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, I think I figured this out. Looks like the Sierra number I need is 18-5836. This looks like the Ford solenoid, but internally it is wired different. The "S" terminal is the ground and the "I" terminal is the activation. So, the common Ford solenoid can not be used to replace the trim solenoid without reconfiguring the wiring. I have 2 of these solenoids coming and I will report back if they work.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did those solenoid work . I have bought some used pumps and on of them doesn't work and has a Ford style solenoid on it.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just use the common $11.00 sierras that it should of had originally and roll on . Same solenoids they use on alpha bravo late style drive trim pumps. Make sure the ground is there for the low current windings. Will be more reliable than the big honkers they put on the old ones from the '80's but buy a spare and throw it in boat somewhere anyways
Old 08-09-2015, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I took mine apart at the lake and cleaned the contacts on the 4th of july this year and it is still working fine.

Quick Reply: Solenoids for K-Plane Pump

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.