Notices

525 Header Failure??

Old 05-31-2007, 01:52 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

The CMI's don't fail from corrosion, they fail from vibration and heat cycling... They also are prone to failure if the header develops a hot spot. The hot spots are created two ways; first if there's an obstruction (rust chunk etc.), secondly if when they were manufactured the inner pipe is too close to the outer pipe..

Damn CMI's,,,, every week I fire up my engines I worry about these darn things.... I'll be purchasing Stainless Marines next go around...
Old 05-31-2007, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cowisl
How much did it cost to get the headers redone from cmi?
CMI charged 100 dollars for the one fix, plus I had to pay for my shipping up there. They do not guarantee that they can fix it as well, it all depends where the crack is. Mine was easy because it was right where the 4 pipes merge into 1. Right along that weld. For the time being, I'm keeping my second set.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

a friend of mine with an 05-06 39 Gun is about ready for his 3rd set...1st ones cracked, gottum warrantied last season and already this season same header, same crack , same place...things that make ya go hmmmm
Old 05-31-2007, 02:30 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by restabr
So is anyone seeing the failure of the headers being terminal to the engine itself due to water ingestion, or can the failure be caught far enough in advance to not nuke the motor?
Best thing to do is drain the water out of the header after every run...so if there's a crack the water doesn't go back into the motor. Sometimes you can catch it, some times you can't...just gotta check them all the time..

Originally Posted by JROMY
Ken - I have a sneaking suspicion that mine are probably going to go this summer based on everyone elses experience. Did the TIG welding at least let you finish out the summer before you had to replace all the headers? Is there an alternative to the CMI's? We all spend WAY too much money to have these things fail the way they do.
I think these are;
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=27458
Old 05-31-2007, 03:50 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

FYI, I think the stainless marine GenIII's are also cheaper than a CMI setup. I think they're somewhere around $3600 complete with tailpipes to your specs.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

I've had great luck with KE headers, they are not the eyecandy that CMIs are, BUT I ran a set in Salt water for 7 years, (flushed every time) and they performed AWESOME. Plus they make great power. When I repower the nordic, it will be with either KE's or SM.
Dean
Old 05-31-2007, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by restabr
Anyone know anything or got any experience with the headers on 525's failing due to corrosion. I've got one that basically turned to swiss cheese in about a two to three square inch section in the top of one of the tubes. I've heard rumblings that there have been problems with corrosion at other points (flanges) resulting in sea water leaking back into the head/cylinders. The reason for my question is I'm simply wondering if my other three headers are time bombs. At better than 4K a piece I'm not in a hurry to replace, but I certainly don't want to drown one of the motors either.

Thanks in advance.
C.
cmi's are prone to crack and leak ido marine work for a living can't tell u how many cmi I had to have repaired or replaced. lee
Old 05-31-2007, 09:46 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Sold lots of 525's. Never a failure in freshwater.Lots of failures in saltwater. Go figure,saltwater is the enemy,but you would expect good maintenance would help,apparently not with these headers
Old 06-01-2007, 08:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cowisl
Mine just failed
Man, that's a bummer What let you know they had gone? I've been told to watch the exhaust for steam, one pipe being a little different than the others, slightest sign of milky oil. Anything else I should be watching for?
Old 06-01-2007, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JROMY
Man, that's a bummer What let you know they had gone? I've been told to watch the exhaust for steam, one pipe being a little different than the others, slightest sign of milky oil. Anything else I should be watching for?
Also a rough idle as well because of water dripping back in. That's what clued me in to something being wrong.

Quick Reply: 525 Header Failure??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.