Notices

Lets talk boat covers

Old 05-22-2007, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Lets talk boat covers

I'm going to be purchasing a new full length cover here soon and was wanting to get some feedback from others. My previous Sunbrela cover lasted 14 years before becoming so thread bare it ripped. Spent 4 of 12 months in the sun per year at the marina. Never leaked and boat was always dry inside. Also saved the gelcoat from baking in the sun.

My local guy who redid my upholstery recommended the TopGun cover material over the Sunbrela. He did great work on my upholstery and I value his opinion but was wanting to get real world experience before dropping the coin. He can also get Sunbrela and said it would come down to what I wanted.

So what has worked better Sunbrela vs TopGun?

Thanks Guys!!!
Old 05-22-2007, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sunbrella. theres my .02
Old 05-22-2007, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know of the top gun brand but I have a new custom made sunbrella and it is four years old and looks like new. Very very very good mataerial.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:20 AM
Registered

Top gun is plastic coated I believe. It is much more rigid than sunbrella. It seems to be better repelling water but I don't think I'd make a cockpit cover out of it. Maybe a full cover. I made covers out of it for my a/c unit , grille , and patio fireplace at the house.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Aqualon is what you need, this is mine that i had custom for top gun and i will use it again
Attached Thumbnails Lets talk boat covers-img_0548-medium-.jpg   Lets talk boat covers-img_0550-medium-.jpg   Lets talk boat covers-img_0558-medium-.jpg  

Old 05-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had another Sunbrella cover made for my Sunsation - first was for my Donzi, both were full mooring / storage covers. Had them both done in Cadet Gray with a draw cord, and they work awesome!
Old 05-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Sunbrella it is. I figured if it works why mess with success.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild
Aqualon is what you need, this is mine that i had custom for top gun and i will use it again

I had Aqualon on my old Nordic, by far the best cover I ever had. I'd trade the Sunbrella cover on my PowerPlay for one made of Aqualon in a heartbeat.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
I had Aqualon on my old Nordic, by far the best cover I ever had. I'd trade the Sunbrella cover on my PowerPlay for one made of Aqualon in a heartbeat.
I've had Aqualon on my last 2 boats, I prefer it over my sunbrella cockpit cover for water resistence. It doesn't breathe as well but I always put mine away dry so it doesn't matter. Unfortunately my current cover which is purple has just turned a chalky white on top from UV exposure. Five years in my driveway and the sun cooked out the color I'ld still do another one! Steve
Old 05-24-2007, 06:35 AM
Registered

5-7 years is all they last outside. You did good.

Quick Reply: Lets talk boat covers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.