Notices

Marquise Hill Missing

Old 05-28-2007, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marquise Hill Missing

Coast Guard searching for New England Patriots' Marquise Hill

May 28, 2007

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- U.S. Coast Guard rescue crews continued searching Lake Pontchartrain on Monday for New England Patriots defensive end Marquise Hill, who was reported missing following a jetski accident.

"We searched throughout the night," said Petty Officer Tom Atkeson.

Hill's agent, Albert Elias, said he had been told Hill and a young woman were jetskiing Sunday in the lake when both of them went into the water, which had a strong current. Elias said the woman was able to make it to a pylon and hang on until she was rescued, while Hill was last scene floating away from the scene.

"I'm an optimistic guy," Elias told WWL Radio in New Orleans. "He's a strong kid and a fighter."

Hill played on LSU's 2004 national championship team and was drafted in the second round by New England.

The Coast Guard was using both boats and a helicopter search the shoreline, Atkeson said. Wildlife and Fisheries was using a recovery line that drags the bottom of the water.

A call came in around 9:30 p.m. Sunday, Atkeson said. The woman, whose identity was not available Monday morning, was rescued and sent to Tulane Medical Center where she told them Hill had tried to keep her calm even as the two were drifting away from each other.

Neither Hill nor the woman wore a life preserver, Atkeson said.

"It's so important to have a life jacket and a signaling device," Atkeson said. "One keeps you afloat and the other helps us find you."

Elias said Hill has spent much of his time since Hurricane Katrina helping family members rebuild their homes.

Now I don't know about the rest of you, but I would NEVER ride a Jetski without a life jacket. I can't even count all of the nasty wipeouts that I have had, ocassionaly getting banged on the head by the Jetski. I hope he survived this, and also hope he learned his lesson about WEARING A LIFE JACKET!!!

Last edited by MonsterDave; 05-28-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MonsterDave
Now I don't know about the rest of you, but I would NEVER ride a Jetski without a life jacket. I can't even count all of the nasty wipeouts that I have had, ocassionaly getting banged on the head by the Jetski. I hope he survived this, and also hope he learned his lesson about WEARING A LIFE JACKET!!!

He may have paid the ultimate price, for not wearing a jacket......Preventable
Old 05-28-2007, 02:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard they found him DEAD!

Neither Hill nor the woman wore a life preserver,
Old 05-28-2007, 03:08 PM
Registered

He did not make it....
http://www.wdsu.com/news/13399464/detail.html
Old 05-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

http://blog.nola.com/times-picayune/...ville_har.html

this happened yesterday ,about 3 miles from my house...sad...
Old 05-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Registered

Default Water safety???

I have to add my .02 here....I am and have been a unlimited tonnage licensed master of towing captain for 11 years on both the lower Mississippi River and the Gulf Intercoastal Waterway between Brownsville, Tx and Port Everglades, Fla. Now that being said I have seen my fair share of people who just don't know the meaning of boater safety. I push tows as big as 25 barges in the river and up to 6 barges in the Intercoastal and it never fails that there are always a few idiots that want to cut across your bow while pulling their 8 year old on a friggin kneeboard or whatnot. I see more people in overloaded boats with not 1 PFD in site more and more every year. I know all the guys and girls on this site are pretty straight shooters so no offense is implied. Of course we all drive powerboats that are made for just riding. It's the people in these little flatboats (as we call them down here) that have no clue. Let's just say for instance some guy pulling his kid comes up astern of me and as soon as he clears the head (bow) of my tow, which consists of 6,000 tons of jet fuel, he gets right in front of me immediately. If that kid falls off of his toy there is nothing I, nor the kids father, can do. It takes a minimum of a quarter mile to stop that much weight and if the front of the barge doesn't get him the suction will. I guess what I am trying to say is that more people need to think about safety more when they are on the water....it is not like being on the the ground...things happen much differently out here.

Here are a couple of examples of my daily adventures....

975 FT OF TOW (JET FUEL)

1050 FT OF TOW (LUBE OIL & GASOLINE)

Last edited by CAPTAIN CHUCK; 05-28-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Damn Chuck! That's a lot of boat! How manuverable are they? How much in advance do you have to plan a turn?
Old 05-28-2007, 07:02 PM
Registered

Thanks...Actually BF what you are seeing is the barges I have stretched out in front of me. The boats I run are an average of 75 to 90 feet long with about 2400hp. Each barge is either 200'x35' regulations or 300'x54' jumbos. The first pic is of 3- three hundred footers and the second one is 5 regulations stretched out. In case you wanted to know.....
Old 05-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CAPTCHUCKV
Thanks...Actually BF what you are seeing is the barges I have stretched out in front of me. The boats I run are an average of 75 to 90 feet long with about 2400hp. Each barge is either 200'x35' regulations or 300'x54' jumbos. The first pic is of 3- three hundred footers and the second one is 5 regulations stretched out. In case you wanted to know.....

What a cool job, and thanks for the insight.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:34 AM
Registered

It sure beats sitting in an office or cubicle....

Quick Reply: Marquise Hill Missing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.