Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Tragic boating accident MS Gulf Coast >

Tragic boating accident MS Gulf Coast

Notices

Tragic boating accident MS Gulf Coast

Old 06-01-2007, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tragic boating accident MS Gulf Coast

I heard about this early in the week, & just found the actual article on it, this is very tragic. It was the talk in the "circle" of boaters that I know, quite a bit of speculation of "what actually happened", but regardless, sad, very, very sad. This may be one of those "accidents" that we may never truly know what really happened. One fact that cannot be disputed...two children without their mother now...My thoughts & prayers go out to all involved....

Woman dies in boating accident
KATE MAGANDY, [email protected]

A day at the islands turned tragic Sunday when a 35-year-old Long Beach woman died in a boating accident.

Kellie Ramsey died as she was trying to climb back into the boat she had been riding in and was caught in the propeller wash, which pulled her into the propeller, said Park Ranger Robert Harris.

Ramsey was at the island with her boyfriend, Troy Beaudean, and others, according to friends.

"Our preliminary investigation showed she was on a boat on the west end of Horn Island with friends," Harris said. "She had jumped into the water and was climbing back up on the boat when she was caught in the prop wash and pulled into the prop."

Harris said there were not as many boats as have been out at Horn Island in previous years, but there was a good crowd. The boat Ramsey was on had moved away from the flotilla and was off by itself toward the west end of the island.

A ranger was on patrol and responded to a call for help immediately, Harris said. The accident happened about 4:30 p.m.

Ramsey is survived by two children.

Harris said there were five people on the boat. He also confirmed that they had reported mechanical problems with the boat earlier in the day, but Harris said he doesn't believe Ramsey's accident was related to those problems.

Jackson County Coroner Vickie Broadus confirmed Ramsey's death and said an autopsy would be conducted later this week to determine cause of death.

Kellie Ramsey, 35, parents live in Long Beach.

Robert Harris

Prelm invest. On boat west end of Horn with friends. Jumped into water. Climbing back up on boat. Caught up in prop wash and pulled into prop. She was coming back onto the boat by way of ladder.

35 years old. white female Long Beach

Call came about 4:30 p.m.

One of rangers on patrol responded immediately to scene of accident.

Believe there were 5 people involved. Not determined if alcohol was a factor.

Not as busy as ordinarily have seen. This group moved over to themselves and had moved away from the group of boats.

Reported earlier that day mechanical problems with the boats.

Single mom, two kids ?

Died at Horn Island

Park Rangers

autopsy later this week.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts

She had jumped into the water and was climbing back up on the boat when she was caught in the prop wash and pulled into the prop
How the hell could this happen???? Engine should be off if anyone is in the water anywhere near the boat.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:03 PM

There was much speculation surrounding this horrible accident. Those of us who frequent that end of the island have a few "quesses" as to what happened, but I truly do not want to "throw" any of them out there not knowing "ALL" the facts.
A few facts I know about that end of the island....
It drops off very quickly, from 5 foot to about 20 foot.
During tidal change, the current is "VERY" aggressive, there has been several drownings of swimmers & fisherman if they venture out too far.
When you lift anchor from that point, the current pulls you out rather quickly, 100 yards to the East, & your fine, but right on the point of the island, a driver has to be very careful.
Take these island facts, add..."Possible mechanical problems"...adds to alot of "SPECULATION"....Wayyyy too many unknowns for me to throw out a guess. Just a horrible way to begin the summer boating season.....
Old 06-01-2007, 11:16 PM

One thing this has reinforced with myself, is the question...Why are we not required to have a "License" to drive a boat? We have to have one to drive a car, & that requires written & a driver test. Why not for a boat? How many accidents can be traced back to an inexperienced driver. I agree 100%, driver should have had boat engine turned OFF, even if he or she was having problems getting it in neutral....An experienced driver would know to just simply...shut the D*mn engine off....anyway....sorry if I stepped on any toes with that comment...It just sucks to have this happen so close to home...Be Safe!!!!
Old 06-01-2007, 11:33 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry to hear this.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant imagine having this happen..I feel for the family. 35yrs is way to young. RIP I only hope the kids werent on board at the time.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:21 AM
Registered

Even if you are required to get a license, it will not stop accidents. All drivers have drivers license and look how many accidents occur each and every day. Licenses will not stop accidents. The answer is not always more government involvement.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:22 AM
Registered

Last edited by mpally; 06-02-2007 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:58 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

There are plenty of idiots who drive cars both with and without licenses. Licensing boaters will not prevent accidents.

Its as tragic situation that a woman lost her life and that her children lost their mother. RIP.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:38 AM
Registered

My thoughts exactly...I don't even leave the key in the ignition when swimming around my boat.....RIP

Originally Posted by Shah Mat
How the hell could this happen???? Engine should be off if anyone is in the water anywhere near the boat.

Quick Reply: Tragic boating accident MS Gulf Coast

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.