Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Looking For Info on Jet Boats (NOT TURBINES :) >

Looking For Info on Jet Boats (NOT TURBINES :)

Notices

Looking For Info on Jet Boats (NOT TURBINES :)

Old 06-04-2007, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Looking For Info on Jet Boats (NOT TURBINES :)

I am looking at getting a used jet boat (Yamaha, SeaDoo, etc.) and wanted some input from this knowledgable crew.
I like the 2000/01 Yamaha XR1800, w/ the twin 155hp motors.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't know anything about quality of the manufacturers and just wanted to get imput from any one who owns or has owned one as to reliability, what to look for, etc.
Also if anyone knows a good one for sale in the NJ area. I don't mind driving a couple (hundred) miles for a good used one.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an '05 Sea-Doo Speedster w/ Twin 185HP supercharged engines - great boat for going out on a lake or river for an afternoon. Fast and very maneuverable. Looks very futuristic - I got a lot of comments on it.

Also had a '98 Speedster w/ Twin 787s. Also a great boat but only had 4 bucket seats and a seat in the bow. Wouldn't be good for a family - Yamahas probably have more room for kids and things.

No trim - you'll get beaten up in any kind of chop.

Spend the extra $ and get 4-stroke engines.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Registered

I've had some seat time in the SX230 (Yamaha), for a jet-boat, it feels more like a conventional boat than any other jet boat I've been in. Plus you can't argue with Yamaha powerplant and their reliability. Jet boats are great in certain applications (rivers, small lakes), but are a completely different animal in big water areas. Just because of their inefficiency its tough to break 60mph on them no matter what model you're riding, but at the same time so many shallow areas are open to you.

Good luck!
Old 06-04-2007, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't have a family. I'm just looking for a toy I can keep @ my paren't shore house. 4 seats is fine. They live on the bay but it is too shallow to bring my boat in or anything with an out drive. A jet boat or ski would be fun and I figured a boat gives me the option to take friends out.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

We have a 2006 Seadoo Sportster, with the (1) 155 HP 4-stroke Rotax closed cooled system and love it. Wife drives it all the time, great for buzzing around the Manatee Zones.
It does ~ 50 mph with 2 adults, and it runs for days on 22 gallons of 87 octane gas. The Nordic is sitting on it's lift these days, and the Seadoo sees all the action. I've heard not very good things about Seadoo and warranty issues, BUT I've got a great service manager, (Slip him $20 everytime he does work on the Seadoo), soooo we don't have that to worry about. Also heard their Supercharged model of our engine, (210 HP) has some issues also. We are very happy with the 155 HP model. And until the $$ of gas comes back down, we'll be using the seadoo mostly. Having a bimini top made for it now.
Good luck,
Dean
Old 06-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Yamaha Jet Boat

Tom,

I have a 2005 Yamaha SR230 that I might be selling. It is 23' long, seats 10, has twin 1000cc 4 cylinder motors (140hp each) It has a wakeboard tower that comes off or folds down with lights and speakers. Twin batteries, Alpine stereo with XM. Roughly 60-70 hours on it. Looking to get into a cruiser. The boat will cross 8-10" of water on a plane. Floats in 1' of water. Has a two axle trailer. I can't post pics but email me if you are interested. I could meet somewhere. Top speed with 6-10 people around 48 1-2 people 51-53. Real fun boat, I boat in the great lakes mostly and it handles the chop well, it has a deep vee on it. Lots of goodies on it, let me know if you would like some info. [email protected]
Old 06-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Registered

Hey guys, how about maintenance on those types of engines and the jet drive?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Ive owned 4 jet boats, all have been great. Never had any real issues other than sucking up ski or tube ropes. I have taken them out the river where I live to the back bay and then the gulf to Cat Island on a smoother day. When it gets over 3' waves they are no fun. I did put Bennett trim tabs on my Sea-Doo Islandia deck boat, it helped alot. Jeff
Old 06-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Registered

Maintenance on the 4-strokes is pretty much non-existant. Just change the fluids at regular intervals and, assuming you don't damage the impeller, just get in and go each time!

Quick Reply: Looking For Info on Jet Boats (NOT TURBINES :)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.