Notices

Gibson Bullet mufflers ?

Old 06-04-2007, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gibson Bullet mufflers ?

I just received my mufflers this morning from Fred at Trick and had a question that I hope someone can help me out with. First of all I don't want mufflers but I'm trying to keep my neighbors happy with me and coming home at 12:00 am with dry exhaust and 600 cubic inches isn't going to sit well with them. lol!

Anyway I have one piece tail pipes through the transom and my question is, is there any way to keep these mufflers from scratching the crap out of my tail pipes so that when I do take them off they still look decent?

I had the CMI's on my Donzi and to my surprise when taking them off they ruined my tail pipes, and with these one piece tails I can't just replace the tip. So any help would be great.

thanks, mike
Old 06-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the welds on the inside for smoothness. The only thing I can think of is to be sure you file off any flash etc.

Fred
Old 06-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Registered

thanks Fred they felt smooth to me.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Registered

Well I just tried these mufflers at lunch and I'm telling you that these things really work it was so quiet I thought something was wrong. Unfortunately they are just a little too quiet for my taste. The one good thing about Maryland is that we don't have any noise limit laws, but we try to be courteous to our neighbors in the A.M.

So I have Fred from trick (who has been awesome person to deal with) looking for me now, but does anyone have any suggestions as far as a mufflers that just take the bite out of the exhaust and not make the motor sound dead!

The one thing I don't have is the rubber flappers on the pipes, but I really don't think that this will quiet the exhaust down that much, but maybe I should try them!

So if anyone is really looking to quiet their motor down I mean quiet, buy the Gibson mufflers from Fred at trick marine. These things work!!!!!
Old 06-05-2007, 12:05 PM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How many rpm did you loose at top end? Is that N/A engine or blower, how much hp?
Old 06-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rv
How many rpm did you loose at top end? Is that N/A engine or blower, how much hp?
Put them on my 496's. These are absolutly the only
mufflers that pass the 90 db regs. Others have tried the
rest...all failed testing including CMI. They have a nice
tone at cruise. I recommend them highly.
Absolutly no loss of top end on my little motors.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:39 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFormula
The one good thing about Maryland is that we don't have any noise limit laws, but we try to be courteous to our neighbors in the A.M.

Don't bet the mortgage on that. I had a DNR officer tell me something very different than what you are saying!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2007, 01:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

FYI, here are the regs, they are actually quite funny. I always tell them that I am harvesting seafood for sale!!!

Actual detail from the statute:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statute text
(a) Applicability.- The provisions of this section do not apply to persons who regularly catch or harvest seafood for sale while actually engaged in the catching or harvesting of the seafood.
(b) Permitted noise levels.-
(1) Except as provided in subsection (d) of this section, a person may not operate a vessel on the waters of the State so as to exceed a noise level of 90dB(a).
(2) Noise level limits for waters of the State shall be measured using generally accepted testing procedures imposed by regulations adopted by the Department based on the Marine Environment Sound Level Measurement Procedure, SAE J 2005.
(3) An owner or lessee of a vessel may not allow the vessel to be operated on waters of the State in violation of paragraph (1) of this subsection.
(c) Muffling devices or systems.- A person may not own or operate on any waters of the State any vessel manufactured after January 1, 1990 that is not equipped with a muffler or device or system which muffles or suppresses engine noise in accordance with regulations adopted by the Department.
(d) Regulations - Exceptions.- The Department may adopt regulations to permit exceptions to this section, including exceptions for:
(1) Economic hardship;
(2) Vessels participating or preparing to participate in a U.S. Coast Guard or Department approved race or event;
(3) The testing, repair, or development of vessel engines conducted by a bona fide engine or boat manufacturer or service person; and
(4) Vessels belonging to a volunteer fire department, ambulance company, rescue squad company, or advance life support company or a political subdivision.
(e) Same - Enforcement.- In addition to the provisions of subsection (b) of this section, the Department may adopt regulations to enforce this section, including regulations establishing noise limitations.
(f) Violations; penalties.-
(1) A person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding:
(i) For the first offense, $500; and
(ii) For the second offense, $1,000 or imprisonment of 30 days or both.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OS is correct, your boat must meet the 90 dB standard 1 meter up and 1 meter back from the boat at idle.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Registered

Oldschool, Wow that's pretty crazy I wasn't aware of any of this. I guess cause I have never been pulled over and the only place that I've had any trouble is downtown Annapolis at the city docks. The one thing I didn't see in that post was any DB limits. Unless I just missed it.

Anyway don't worry about it cause I actually lost one of the mufflers last night while trying them out. I was thinking to myself that these might not be that bad, and then I took a short ride only to have one fall off mid ride. Yea that was a bit upsetting. So if anyone has one laying around cause they lost one too just let me know. It's a 4.5inch pipe and the muffler was a bullet.

mike

Quick Reply: Gibson Bullet mufflers ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.