Notices

I need an expert opinion.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:47 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You are on the right track... look at mid late 90s straight guns w/o crazy power. try finding fresh water too.

Apaches are great boats, but big $ upkeep.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:22 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

Whatever you get make sure you have a compression check done on the engines. Also anything over 10 years old take a moisture gauge and check stringers and transom.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Apaches are great boats, but big $ upkeep.
Aren't they all?

I'm on my second 41 and I don't notice it costing any more or less to keep running than any other boat I've owned. In fact, they're the only boats I've never broken a drive on. 3's are way tougher than Bravos & TRS's and 6's are all but indestructible. I do spend more $$ than the average Topgun owner in fuel but I also can comfortably boat on days that he's getting beat up on. With an 80-day boating season in Ohio, that gives me in some seasons about a third more weekends on the water.

Plus, I have an Apache !!!
Old 06-20-2007, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by BraceYourself
Whatever you get make sure you have a compression check done on the engines. Also anything over 10 years old take a moisture gauge and check stringers and transom.
It takes alot more than a compression test on a $40K motor. You need an expert evaluation.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:07 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
It takes alot more than a compression test on a $40K motor. You need an expert evaluation.
Just telling the guy to have the engines looked at. I made the mistake on my first boat which had 800+ hp per side on a 39 cig of taking the sellers word and his warranty. By the way where do you boat Chris. I boat on lake erie.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by BraceYourself
Just telling the guy to have the engines looked at. I made the mistake on my first boat which had 800+ hp per side on a 39 cig of taking the sellers word and his warranty. By the way where do you boat Chris. I boat on lake erie.
Always good advice on having the engines looked at. Compression will tell you if you have some major problem but won't give you some of the telltale signs of impending problems. Records are always a great way of knowing just where the engines are at but you never know- maybe the operator wasn't too smooth on the sticks and the valvetrains are ready to grenade the motors. Absolutely no way to know on some of these issues.

Boat alot on Erie, but not too much lately. Boat's on the trailer for its 3rd season- started a drive upgrade to 6's and it became a rerig- and at a bad time. Wife decided to go back to college for her masters, son just graduated HS and getting ready for college and my business has doubled in size in 2 years. All good things but none condusive to me boating much and not giving me any time to work on my "project". I've been trolling for a decent fill-in boat to use while I'm doing my re-rig but I fear that everything I see will become the Apache's stablemate- they're either total projects or one season away from needing major work. I can't afford a rerig, a fill-in boat AND a divorce.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by marylandmark
ps- this is OSO, we all are experts!
More like victims.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:47 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Aren't they all?
Just some more than others.
Apaches are for serious performance boaters, I wouldn't be recommending one for the 1st HP boater.

Actually for a 1st timer, 38 is kinda big.
But a nice well priced 38cig will be easier to resale imo.

how about some of these?
http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o16930-en.html
http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o17015-en.html
http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o14544-en.html
http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o16137-en.html
http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o16480-en.html
Old 06-20-2007, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Just some more than others.
Apaches are for serious performance boaters, I wouldn't be recommending one for the 1st HP boater.

Actually for a 1st timer, 38 is kinda big.
But a nice well priced 38cig will be easier to resale imo.

]
It all depends, I guess. I could have saved a small fortune and a truckload of grief had I just bought a nice, clean 41 with 6's. For me, I thought I knew what I wanted. I didn't really know what I wanted until I got passed by it out on the water. Not everyone is that way though. I think most folks would be perfectly happy with a Formula 357.

You're absolutely right on the Cig. Lots of market for nice one's.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:06 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I have a friend that is selling a 33 foot baja with twin 454. It has a nice cabin and plenty of fun factor. Could be had for 50k. He runs it on Lake Erie and it handles the water fine. PM if you are interested. It's not listed on any sites. I can attest to it being mechanically sound.

Quick Reply: I need an expert opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.