Notices

I need an expert opinion.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need an expert opinion.

Should I buy a stepped hull boat as my first offshore boat? I have been reading everything i can find on the forum about the issue. I know i can go to Tres's school, but what i am worried about is that i will not be the only driver. From time to time, my father and brother in law will also use the boat. I don't thing either have any experience in a stepped hull also.

I really want a boat in the 38 foot range that has a nice cabin with generator and ac so the whole family can enjoy it. I am not looking for a racing boat, but i don't want a sea ray either.

I have some people telling me that i should look into a baja, or scarab, boats without steps.

Also, are there any turn key boats out there? I want to find one that is still stock configured. I have a decent budget to work with, and i really like the fountains, and cigs, but i keep getting preached to about steps because of my and my family's lack of experience.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scarabs have steps. Depending on the model.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:14 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Depends on how fast you want to go??

Takes a lot of power to make a straight hull go fast.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Registered

Will use the boat for Poker Runs, and for cruising,
Maybe 70MPH range?? Not for racing.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:31 PM
Registered

Don't be afraid of stepped hulls...just respect them.I went from a Jet-Ski to a 29 twin step but spend some time with someone who can explain how the hull works
Old 06-14-2007, 11:39 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,194 Likes on 519 Posts

You will be 100% pleased with a very predictable single step boat. A perfected single step boat will ALWAYS turn and pivot on that one step. A multiple step boat will sometimes become confused based on driver input and conditions, and that's when a multiple step boat gets out of shape.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:14 AM
Registered

My single step turns great. I have heard stories about turning in an agressive 2-step hull.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:41 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart
My single step turns great.
My conventional hull turns great too If someone has a stepped boat and is a few mph faster I lose no sleep over it. There is always a boat that will blow your doors in, stepped or not so why sweat it. Treat either with respect, drive safely and within your abilities and you'll have a fun time. As far as your father and brother-in-law goes, they should also approach this boat responsibly and take the time to learn how to drive safely. Not being the owner of the boat is no excuse to shirk responsibilities, after all, their lives may not be the only ones affected.

Last edited by Indy; 06-15-2007 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Registered

Look at the Formula 382. Sounds like the boat for you.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You will have nothing to worry about with a stepped hull. It is like anything else, common sence. With limited high speed experience, you shouldn't be pushing a conventional hull or a stepped hull close to their limits.

If looking for a used boat, look at the 37 OL, huge cabin for it's size, and offers a/c. Both the single step and quad step versions are very predictable. I have had to make some aggresive las minute turns at speed with a 37 single step and the boat reacted pleasantly. If you plan on running at or near 100, you will have to respect the boat, stepped bottom or not.

Quick Reply: I need an expert opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.