Annapolis/ Baltimore Speed Record >

Annapolis/ Baltimore Speed Record

Notices

Annapolis/ Baltimore Speed Record

Old 06-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Annapolis/ Baltimore Speed Record

This Past Thursday Miss GEICO set a speed record from Annapolis to Baltimore. Under cloudy skies with a solid 20 mph wind out of the east and 3 ft seas in the Chesapeake the Miss GEICO boat using a biodeisel/soybean/kerosene fuel mixture navigated from the US Navel Academy to Ft Mc Henry in 14 min and 7 seconds. Whoever says the Chesapeake doesn't get rough just has to watch the video of our run. Scotty and I are still sore. Next year were sure we can shave 4 min or more off that number if the sea's lay down a little.

Big Thank you to the USCG for providing the permits allowing us to run, Gino for helping and running support, everyone at Bert Jabin Yacht center for putting the boat in and allowing us to land our helo in the yard and the people of Annapolis who supported the project. Turbine Marine for providing the most reliable big power onthe planet, Gerry Gilbreath for set up and our safety crew David Depatrillo and Charley Bass.

Scotty and I would also like to thank Haggin for believing in us.

Marc and Scotty

Last edited by Maximus; 06-15-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats pretty sweet..good job!!!
Old 06-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi...7/06_14-58/TOP

Here to Baltimore in 14 minutes

Joshua McKerrow - The Capital
With a top speed of more than 160 mph, the Miss Geico race boat left a wake that could be seen for miles.

By BRENDAN BROWN Staff Writer
In a record-breaking stunt this morning, the Miss Geico race boat made the commute from Annapolis to Baltimore a 14-minute roller coaster ride.
With a top speed of more than 160 mph, the turbine-powered boat - boasting almost 4,000 horsepower - sped from the Naval Academy to Baltimore Harbor in 14 minutes, 7 seconds, leaving a wake that could be seen for miles.
"You could see him going to Baltimore just by the spray," said Diana Gerhardt, who watched the boat from the Bay Bridge. "When he hit the Bay Bridge, he was gone."

Choppy waves and less-than-ideal conditions just past 7 a.m. kept the Miss Geico from going faster still. Driver Marc Granet said he could count the seconds of airtime as he careened off the waves before a jarring fall back to the water.

"It goes right through your body," he said of the shock from the fall. "We put this boat in the air."

Mr. Granet and throttle man Scott Begovich were strapped into the cramped, metallic cockpit by five-point harnesses, surrounded by gauges and video monitors which allowed them to see. During the trip, they were unable to move, Mr. Granet said.

The boat ran out of its more than 200 gallons of biodiesel fuel at the Bay Bridge on the return journey to Bert Jabin Yacht Yard. From there it heads to Ocean City for an important race this weekend.

With two modified Cobra attack helicopter engines, the Miss Geico did not reach its full potential today, said Ray Scarbrough, the boat's crew chief.

The team blends its own biofuel for the Miss Geico, one of three boats on the Geico team at this weekend's race. The boat is not the fastest on the team and will not run in the race, Mr. Scarbrough said.

The boat was accompanied by a crew of safety personnel in boats and helicopters, none of which could keep up. Several permits were obtained at the last-minute from the U.S. Coast Guard to allow the speedy boat into the water.

Despite today's "great run," Mr. Granet said he expects to come back next year to break their own record. He said he hopes they can do the trip in about 10 minutes next time.

Despite today's "great run," Mr. Granet said he expects to come back next year to break their own record. He said he hopes they can do the trip in about 10 minutes next time.

"If the water's a little calmer, we know we can do better."
Old 06-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Registered

We were sitting at the kitchen counter when my kids said "WOW! check out that boat". Rough wasn't the word - the waves were slamming against my boat lift (and believe me out on the Bay you keep your boat high). There is no doubt the time could be faster under better conditions. Wild! Congrats.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:06 AM
Banned

What was the previous record?
Old 06-17-2007, 07:46 AM
Registered

I am fortunate enough to live in Ocean City where the Miss Geico crew is currently racing (I don't think anyone else is competing in Extreme Turbine though). It's really a breath taking vessel, here are a couple pics of this beast

Old 06-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Registered

Look at that last pick. I'd eat off of that engine and bay! As expected from AMF.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:35 PM
Registered

love the acronym on the back of the boat,we used to say "caring understanding nineties type"
Old 06-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cuda
What was the previous record?
None that I have ever hear of but I know that there will be lots of people changing that record. How do you do an offical record run anyway.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

I am pissed i missed that and that is a short shot rite out my creek.. Damnsh!t. Comngrats on the record guy's.

John

Quick Reply: Annapolis/ Baltimore Speed Record

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.